FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kirakira1

I'm not sure if you can see it, but on the right there are two little leaves

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
By kirakira1
Does that not happen often with N. Lowii or something?

By Benurmanii
All Nepenthes should eventually produce basal shoots, however, it is very rare for a Nepenthes to produce a basal at such a small size. The only times I've seen small Nepenthes produce basals is when the main plant dies out.
By NatchGreyes
Is this a TC plant? If so, producing basals at such a small size is probably signs that something went wrong with the TC process. You might want to keep an eye on it and nurture it. If you do so, it may come through this weird growth and continue just fine.

The only other time I've seen basals on such young plants is when the main growth point has died. That does not seem to be the case here.
By kirakira1
I believe it is a TC plant. I have another one that has tripled in size since I purchased it, but its also put off two basals. It seems to be growing fine. I knew it seemed a little odd, but wasn't sure if it was a concern or not.

By Benurmanii
NatchGreyes wrote:Is this a TC plant? If so, producing basals at such a small size is probably signs that something went wrong with the TC process. You might want to keep an eye on it and nurture it. If you do so, it may come through this weird growth and continue just fine.

The only other time I've seen basals on such young plants is when the main growth point has died. That does not seem to be the case here.
I always thought TC plants clumped naturally. Is it possible that there was still material that was unseparated from this growth point after being removed from TC?
By NatchGreyes
Benurmanii wrote:
NatchGreyes wrote:Is this a TC plant? If so, producing basals at such a small size is probably signs that something went wrong with the TC process. You might want to keep an eye on it and nurture it. If you do so, it may come through this weird growth and continue just fine.

I always thought TC plants clumped naturally. Is it possible that there was still material that was unseparated from this growth point after being removed from TC?
I'm not too familiar with the finer points of the TC process, so I really couldn't say. I've only grown TC plants once they've been acclimated out of culture. The couple Neps that I've had that have done this behaved strangely and I was told that it was something to do with the TC process, but I honestly couldn't say too much more than that. I have not experienced it with any seed-grown plants (regardless of whether those were germinated in a sterile environment or not).
By kirakira1
I've only bought three TC plants. Two of them are Neps and both of them are doing this

By kirakira1

Update. My N. Lowii is growing pretty fast in my opinion. From what I hear it's supposed to be extremely slow

kirakira1 liked this
Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

For more information about characteristics, you wo[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

How cold is too cold

If the temperature stays above freezing, put them […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!