FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
Hi guys. Im getting some pulchellas and scorpioides sundews, but I wanna know, how do I care for them? Ive heard a few stories where people lost theirs (died) just because of a small mistake they made... it kinda makes me a bit scared. Can I grow them along in the sa,e conditions as VFT's?
By Benurmanii
I grew my pulchellas alongside my VFTs during the 30+ degree summer with only 25% humidity outside. I just made sure they always had water in their tray and they did great. Now that its winter I grow them inside under lights in a more "wintery" condition so they have been producing gemmae. I can't speak for scorpioides, I got it during fall and has always been inside under more controlled conditions.
Benurmanii liked this
By nimbulan
I keep my scorpiodes indoors under lights year-round along with various other tropical and subtropical plants. They do fine, though you need to drop the photoperiod down low enough in winter - I forget the exact number of hours - for them to produce gemmae.
By Gry
Benurmanii wrote:I grew my pulchellas alongside my VFTs during the 30+ degree summer with only 25% humidity outside. I just made sure they always had water in their tray and they did great. Now that its winter I grow them inside under lights in a more "wintery" condition so they have been producing gemmae. I can't speak for scorpioides, I got it during fall and has always been inside under more controlled conditions.
What about the dormancy periods? I heard thet pygmies have them, but when? How should I care for them in dormancy and how do i get them to go dormant when its time so they can grow well after the dormancy?
By Gry
Benurmanii wrote:They only go dormant when stressed from too much heat and lack of water. I would try to avoid dormancy, as I have heard of a lot of people loosing their pygmies to it. Their dormancy is a last resort in bad conditions, much like petiolaris sundews' dormancy.

So dormancy holds no reward for pygmies?
By Gry
Benurmanii wrote:As far as I know, absolutely none.
so that means that even if they have no dormancy, they can live (in theory) forever? like he VFT, but without the dormancy...
By tommyr
Gry wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:As far as I know, absolutely none.
so that means that even if they have no dormancy, they can live (in theory) forever? like he VFT, but without the dormancy...
My Scorps never go dormant, they do not need to. Keep them in shallow water tray and under CFL or florescent lights. They also do well in a west window.

For me they produce gemmae in November/December but this year some of mine are just starting to produce them.
tommyr liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!