FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
I sowed some D.Capensis seeds a few weeks ago under artificial lighting and I'm pleasantly surprised today after searching for a while to see if I could spot anything, I spotted *VERY TINY* sprouts! These seeds were my very first shot at growing Capensis from seed so I am very pleasantly surprised and happy at the result so far! I may post pictures if my camera can actually see them...
Gry liked this
By Gry
Tarzanus wrote:I was also thrilled when I first saw my seeds germinate. Keep them growing, they will grow fast if you give them good conditions.
Haha, thanks! How fast exactly? This all certainly made my day much better
By Tarzanus
Well,... considering how small they are, they turn into fully grown carnivores in about a year. I wrote about growing my seedlings, Alba and regular form. You can browse my blog for carnivores, I also wrote about feeding them.

About feeding. It's necessary to feed them if you want them to speed up their growth. As soon as they get their first food (when large enough), they start growing way faster, especially when they also have enough light.
Tarzanus liked this
By Gry
Tarzanus wrote:Well,... considering how small they are, they turn into fully grown carnivores in about a year. I wrote about growing my seedlings, Alba and regular form. You can browse my blog for carnivores, I also wrote about feeding them.

About feeding. It's necessary to feed them if you want them to speed up their growth. As soon as they get their first food (when large enough), they start growing way faster, especially when they also have enough light.
Oh nice, Ill check that out now! Thank you!

Currently Im growing them under a 85 watt CFL about 5 or 6 inches above the pot, and the pot is almost always standing in water. I spread the foil out so the temperature stays room temperature. (its about 33 degrees celsius above the pot. The soil is almost cold to the touch)

here are a few pics I just took, of the setup and of the sprouts.... who suddenly are large enough to see on camera... sorta.... just look for the green specks in the pictures near the middle... the picture makes them look much smaller than they are.

am I doing anything wrong? They seem to be doing well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the mix is 55 percent peat and 45 percent perlite
Attachments:
20160104_014228.jpg
20160104_014228.jpg (825.49 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
20160104_014213.jpg
20160104_014213.jpg (776.27 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
The cardboard is so the light doesnt shine in my eyes while using the computer
The cardboard is so the light doesnt shine in my eyes while using the computer
20160104_013718.jpg (413.93 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!