FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By abcib9
Hi,

I just bought a Drosera Regia and noticed tiny bugs crawling in its soil. I don't know what they are and am afraid that they might harm the plant or spread to other nearby pots. Some grew out of the soil and are now stuck in the water of the tray. Some of those seem to hop around a little when the water is shaken (I do not think these are springtails as they are not white and most do not jump at all when disturbed by water or prodding. The few that did hop were adults, but they did not jump as high as springtails do) and they may have wings. I've recently noticed a few little black gnats in the plant area and wonder whether these bugs may have matured into gnats? I've also seen very tiny but slightly long white worms in this plant's water tray-- are they relevant? Can you identify any of these insects? What should I do?
IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG (310.49 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG (207.52 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Last edited by abcib9 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TS 1989
Looks like springtail to me, but I can't say for sure. Try touching it and it should jump if it is a springtail.
By entropy81
Those seem to jump around a little when the water is shaken, and they may have wings.
Sounds like springtails. They eat peat and dead plant material and fungus in the soil, and get eaten by carnivorous plants.
I've recently noticed a few little black gnats in the plant area and wonder whether these bugs may have matured into gnats?

No, those are probably fungus gnats. Same thing, they mostly just eat dead peat and fungus. But they come from maggots, not springtails.
I've also seen very tiny but slightly long white worms in this plant's water tray-- are they relevant?
Those are probably what's turning into the fungus gnats.

Welcome to peat ecology. It's like a whole self-contained mini bog universe in your pot. If it creeps you out, don't think about it. If it doesn't creep you out, buy a good magnifying glass.
By Earthy
Looks like springtails. Nice to have those around being they spread, and currently my VFTS seedlings, bladderworts, and sundew seedlings are snacking on them :)
By Bhart90
Haha, that magnifying statement
By Adelaide
Well, I guess everyone has already answered your question. But those are definitely springtails. I have them all over in one of my tanks and I love them in there - doesn't get a lot of airflow and nothing has gotten rot (which I attribute to them), and my plants love the easy snacks. I also have them in the water surrounding my bladderworts, they don't jump much in water, but just swim around.

Hope that settles your fears.

PM sent

Order received. Your order number is 1677. I'll PM[…]

Well, I'm just astonished! I received the seed ord[…]

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Water Quality

That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is b[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or t[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!