FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jadewuvchicken
Time to do that saucer of burmannii plan, I've been thinking about for a long time! :mrgreen:

Early November, I sowed four containers. 2 has typical burmannii/some sessilifolia(harvested October), 1 Humpty Doo, and 1 Hann River.
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg (732.48 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
So far, the two typical containers just germinated (it took about 2 weeks). The Humpty Doo and Hann River seeds are at their 3rd week and still not germinating. Idk why but red burmannii types are much harder to germinate for some reason. :|
As usual, i'll record their growth and see how well this goes. I'm a little worried though cuz I got the medium from Flytrapcare and I forgot to flush the medium like it said. I think it might harm the roots but I'm hoping using distilled water fixed it up a little bit.
jadewuvchicken liked this
By jadewuvchicken
ps3isawesome wrote:they germinate like crazy for me

Whoa ur so lucky! I really like the contrast of green and red from the mother plant and seedlings. :)
By ps3isawesome
I am pretty lucky as I have coastal CA weather as I am a total newb. Around the time it germinated the temp was 70-90 during the day sometimes 100 degrees while night time temp was around 50-60. Day time humidity was around 20-50% and 70-80% at night. It gets direct sun light all day like my sarracenias, flytraps, and other sundews. I just tapped the flower stalk, seeds fell out, and everything germinated. The soil is a 50/50 peat and perlite mix. The brum was super red but recently it's green, prob cause it's not getting summer light anymore.

Here's the plant when redder.

Here's my outdoor set up.
By Benurmanii
Hmmm it may be a little too cool for me. I was trying to get them to germinate in day temps of about 73 and night temps around 60. I moved them into a small tank that has a heating pad on the side which raises the temps to about 77 during the day. It's been over a month and nothing so far, maybe I'm too impatient :?
By jadewuvchicken
Benurmanii wrote:Hmmm it may be a little too cool for me. I was trying to get them to germinate in day temps of about 73 and night temps around 60. I moved them into a small tank that has a heating pad on the side which raises the temps to about 77 during the day. It's been over a month and nothing so far, maybe I'm too impatient :?
I'm currently germinating mine inside small closed containers with sterilized 2 peat:1 perlite ratio (sterilized with a microwave). I've been very unlucky germinating mine outside mainly because of pests and mold. I keep the containers under a heat mat with ambient temperatures of 70-78 degrees (probably 80-85 degrees inside the containers because of direct contact to the mat and the small container size). This method was successful for my first try with burmannii seeds (http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/growi ... 26780.html). The only difference was the medium and container size, but consistent high temperatures and high humidity seems to be a big factor.
By Astral_Revenant
Good luck with your sundews, the set-up looks very interesting. Might try something similar. Germinating some sundew seeds in an semi-open glass jar. :mrgreen:
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!