FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
I've finally decided to commit into growing VFT's indoor where I can see them grow, and got myself a 60 watt blue spectrum incandescent growlight from Radiant lighting. I shine it on my vft's at the same time as my 14 watt CFL.

My question is, what does a VFT need to photosynthesize in the light-scource? does it tae the heat of a light scource? th brightness? It cant be the lumens because some of the very best growlights seem dim to us, but bright for the plant... I know its the energy the light carries, but what energy in the light does it use? haha, sorry if I make no sense, some of that was just talking to myself, but I appreciate help to grow them indoors.

(Yes, I know they grow best outdoors, no need to bring that up :) )
Last edited by Gry on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Gry
roarke wrote:You are sure you are not confounding a blue bulb with a blue spectrum ?
Whoops, I mean blue spectrum, Lol, my bad!
By katya_dog1
If it's an incandescent, it isn't going to be offering your plant anything much anyway.

The equation for photosynthesis is as follows.

6CO2 + 6H2O Light energy--> C6H12O6 + 6O2

The catylyst is, of course, chlorophyll, and the light energy comes from the sun, or your grow lamp.
By katya_dog1
And whoever told you that the "very best grow-lights" are dim to human eyes is correct.... Sort of.

LEDs are supposed to be the best at this point. The thing is, plants use wavelengths that aren't visible to human eyes. So an LED that emulates that is going to get better growth from the plants than a light that doesn't have those wavelengths. T5 HOs and HID lights are both two very good grow lamps, and they don't cost a ton of cash initially. So, I'd personally rather have an LED for the energy savings, but HID lights get equal, if not better growth than the LEDs that cost 10 times as much.

I could write 20 pages on this. My advice to you is to go and find some Marijuana forums and look in their grow light discussions.

Marijauna growers have contributed more to the grow light industry than any other growers in history, and they know what they're talking about. There is so much we don't yet know, and I find it very interesting. I literally could talk all day about the advantages and disadvantages of these lights, there is so much information out there.
By Gry
katya_dog1 wrote:And whoever told you that the "very best grow-lights" are dim to human eyes is correct.... Sort of.

LEDs are supposed to be the best at this point. The thing is, plants use wavelengths that aren't visible to human eyes. So an LED that emulates that is going to get better growth from the plants than a light that doesn't have those wavelengths. T5 HOs and HID lights are both two very good grow lamps, and they don't cost a ton of cash initially. So, I'd personally rather have an LED for the energy savings, but HID lights get equal, if not better growth than the LEDs that cost 10 times as much.

I could write 20 pages on this. My advice to you is to go and find some Marijuana forums and look in their grow light discussions.

Marijauna growers have contributed more to the grow light industry than any other growers in history, and they know what they're talking about. There is so much we don't yet know, and I find it very interesting. I literally could talk all day about the advantages and disadvantages of these lights, there is so much information out there.
So you would recommend CFL lights instead? well, if that's the case, would a 120 watt CFL light be worth getting? it would sure save me a lot of money and searching around. I cant get my hands on HID lights or anything other than CFL lamps because I'm quite restricted when it comes to mountings. I cant get the HO tubes either because I don't have an area where I can mount them yet either, Im working on that at the moment.
By Tarzanus
LEDs have a potential of emitting only the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by chlorophyll. This way, power doesn't get used for parts of light spectrum that are useless to the plant therefore, you burn less electricity and generate less heat.

I'm thinking about building a powerful LED light that will enable me to grow 2 or 3 square meters of plants and will be at least 1.5m high. Have some ideas already, I'm waiting to receive my LEDs, when they get here I might test them and compare them to shitty fluoros and cool/warm white LEDs.
By katya_dog1
Tarzanus wrote: This way, power doesn't get used for parts of light spectrum that are useless to the plant therefore, you burn less electricity and generate less heat.
When the LEDs are run at low power. An LED run at full power absolutely DRAINS energy, is extremely hot, and doesn't last long.

You can see now why you don't buy Chinese LEDs.
By WolframOmega
I would go a fairly tried and true method: T5 or T5HO tubes, 3000K and 6500K. LEDs are still fairly new and in the process of being improved.
By Tarzanus
I meant that all energy consumed by LED emits usable wavelenghts of light spectrum with only minimal light that can't be used by chlorophyll. Power consumption vs. Usable light ratio is high that way, if you can emit only prefered wavelenghts which is possible with LED technology.

Poslano z mojega HUAWEI P6-U06 z uporabo Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
Tarzanus wrote:I meant that all energy consumed by LED emits usable wavelenghts of light spectrum with only minimal light that can't be used by chlorophyll. Power consumption vs. Usable light ratio is high that way, if you can emit only prefered wavelenghts which is possible with LED technology.
Yes, absolutely. LED technology isn't perfect currently, but that's the main advantage.
Red meat viability claims

This is a good example of a “predatory&rdquo[…]

Hello! Fairly new to carnivorous plants and lookin[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

You can collect rainwater. I have also used water […]

Dan V and ITS, I followed and bookmarked the links[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog Okay, I'll […]

i can order stuff online but ive already repotted […]

What's the plant name? It look like a mutant varie[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!