FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By TS 1989
Siooong wrote:Thanks again TS 1989, you've been a great help

I know it might shock the plant if temperature changed drastically too fast thats why i decided to take it out at night during my sleeping time with AC turned on. I read somewhere it still need light unless it went into deep dormancy? Hence i wanted to create an 'afternoon' for it during midnight, and 'cooler night' for it during the day inside the fridge. Is it a good idea to do this for the next 1-2 wks then leave it for good in the fridge for next 3-4 mths?
I used to just fling my dionaea into the fridge for 4 months in the vegetable compartment.

As for your questions, I don't have much of an idea since I never take them out.
By Siooong
Thanks TS 1989, i might give this a try and see how it goes :)
By Siooong
This is the mini fridge I'm using to put my vft in, he will be inside for at least 18 hours a day for the next 2 wks before keeping it for good inside up to 4 mths
image.jpg
image.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
By TS 1989
Looking great! Remember to remove the dead growth. Mist the plant and soak the media in fungicide or the plant might rot!
TS 1989 liked this
By Siooong
TS 1989 wrote:Looking great! Remember to remove the dead growth. Mist the plant and soak the media in fungicide or the plant might rot!
Thanks TS 1989 i will do that by the end of the 2 wks. Any recommendation of good fungicide that doesn't harm CP here in Singapore?
By TS 1989
Siooong wrote:
TS 1989 wrote:Looking great! Remember to remove the dead growth. Mist the plant and soak the media in fungicide or the plant might rot!
Thanks TS 1989 i will do that by the end of the 2 wks. Any recommendation of good fungicide that doesn't harm CP here in Singapore?
Captain fungicide. It's available at most supermarkets.
By Siooong
1 week into fridge dormancy and the traps wont respond to touch now (fully dormant i think?)

Question: will the closed traps with bugs inside still open? If not, should i clip them off?
By TS 1989
Siooong wrote:1 week into fridge dormancy and the traps wont respond to touch now (fully dormant i think?)

Question: will the closed traps with bugs inside still open? If not, should i clip them off?
You don't have to remove them. Only when they turn black then you clip it off.
By Earthy
Siooong wrote:Thanks again TS 1989, you've been a great help

I know it might shock the plant if temperature changed drastically too fast thats why i decided to take it out at night during my sleeping time with AC turned on. I read somewhere it still need light unless it went into deep dormancy? Hence i wanted to create an 'afternoon' for it during midnight, and 'cooler night' for it during the day inside the fridge. Is it a good idea to do this for the next 1-2 wks then leave it for good in the fridge for next 3-4 mths?
if you constantly take it out into warmer temps, then put it back in cool right away then you could shock the plant. like right now, my plants are in the upper 40's-lower 50's in the garage. today is sunny, so they are outside. I put them outside when the temps were pretty much the same. it'll get a gradual warm-up, then a gradual cool down tonight, then back in the garage...it's best to make everything gradual...
By Siooong
Im pretty sure my VFT is dormant, so i bare-rooted it, spray it with fungicide and put inside a container with moss bed, during the barerooting i accidentally pulled one of the leaves straight down to the rhizome

Question 1: can i try to plant this leaf i pulled? will it work on dormant plant? or i just throw this leaf inside the fridge and keep it there for the next 3 mths then try to plant it?

Question 2: i read somewhere dormant plant still need light, but inside the fridge is total darkness, can i put portable, battery operated LED inside the fridge for few hours a day to provide the little light the plant need?

Thanks in advance
By tommyr
Siooong wrote:Im pretty sure my VFT is dormant, so i bare-rooted it, spray it with fungicide and put inside a container with moss bed, during the barerooting i accidentally pulled one of the leaves straight down to the rhizome

Question 1: can i try to plant this leaf i pulled? will it work on dormant plant? or i just throw this leaf inside the fridge and keep it there for the next 3 mths then try to plant it?

Question 2: i read somewhere dormant plant still need light, but inside the fridge is total darkness, can i put portable, battery operated LED inside the fridge for few hours a day to provide the little light the plant need?

Thanks in advance

You can lay that pulled leaf on the moist soil mix and give it bright light.

Mt VFTs and sarrs. spend winter in the fridge. No additional light is needed, they are dormant.
By Earthy
but, from what everyone has said, they still need light to photosynthesize even though they are sleeping. they aren't in complete darkness in nature unless they get covered by snow...
By tommyr
Earthy wrote:but, from what everyone has said, they still need light to photosynthesize even though they are sleeping. they aren't in complete darkness in nature unless they get covered by snow...

I've been doing it for nearly 9 years. But hey, you have to decide which method to use. I'm just trying to help.
By Siooong
tommyr wrote:
Earthy wrote:but, from what everyone has said, they still need light to photosynthesize even though they are sleeping. they aren't in complete darkness in nature unless they get covered by snow...

I've been doing it for nearly 9 years. But hey, you have to decide which method to use. I'm just trying to help.
Thanks tommyr

A few additional things I use: a turkey baster (to[…]

I recommend both Lee's Botanical Gardens and Flytr[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!