FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jadewuvchicken
Two weeks ago, I ordered some drosera burmannii seeds from ebay and sowed them into a food container. I made the mistake of dumping the seeds in one spot, so I gently rubbed my hand along the soil hoping that I spread them out. I kept a close eye on them and kept them on a seed warmer when my room reaches 65 degrees.

At first I was thinking that they won't germinate because I might have buried or overheated them by accident. I checked the soil this morning and spotted these. Are they drosera seedlings?
D. burmannii
D. burmannii
seed.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
D. burmannii
D. burmannii
seed2.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
D. burmannii - With some contrast cuz it looked too gray
D. burmannii - With some contrast cuz it looked too gray
seed3.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
I hope they are drosera and not some random weeds. These are incredibly tiny!
Last edited by jadewuvchicken on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
By Tarzanus
Blurry and small pictures, but if you say that seedlings are tiny, they are most likely Drosera seedlings. They are really extremely small and it's more than hard to make sharp photo.
I've made photos of how it developed in a couple of months. If you're interested, here it is.

When they get a little bit larger, their growth considerably accelerates. No worries, just make them live for more than 2 or 3 months and they will be ready to start receiving their own food ;)

PS: I'm growing D. capensis, in their young seedling phase, all Drosera plants look almost identical.
Tarzanus liked this
By jadewuvchicken
Yeah that's my bad :\ I was only using my Iphone so it's the best i could do. I'm also wondering if it's ok to move them when they get their first trap leaves? Some of them are very close to each other.
By Tarzanus
They grow OK even if they are a bit congested. The strongest one usually makes it and the weak ones die off. If you start picking them out, they will suffer and possibly you can kill all of them.

When they don't have roots established yet (until they grow more than 3 carnivore leaves they are practically rootless), you can try using toothpick and transfer some into separate pots - I did it with like 90% success. They did get weaker after transplant and needed a week to acclimatize.
Tarzanus liked this
By jadewuvchicken
I decided to wait some more and more of these guys are popping up. :shock:
D. burmannii seedlings
D. burmannii seedlings
Seedlings.jpg (162.44 KiB) Viewed 5890 times
D. burmannii seedlings
D. burmannii seedlings
Seedlings2.JPG (135.27 KiB) Viewed 5890 times
Last edited by jadewuvchicken on Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Daniel_G
The plus side of sowing so close together, as has been pointed out, is that only the strongest plants will survive. Some try to keep as many as possible alive, that's up to you really.

Feed all of them as soon a possible with a tiny amount of crushed up fish food. Don't use too much or you could encourage rot. Usually the ones that receive the most regular feedings are the ones that turn out the strongest :D Be sure to keep us updated!
Daniel_G liked this
By Tarzanus
I started writing about feeding young seedlings. They are growing like mad when you start feeding them. Some of the seedlings, as you can see on the photos are still small. There are huge differences from seedling to seedling how vigorous they are.

My D. capensis are almost 3 months old now, Alba version seedlings quite a bit younger . :)
By jadewuvchicken
I'm hoping I get a lot of strong seedlings that'll grow big. There's at least 40 of them. Many of them are close together so I'm not sure how many sundews are not going to make it. I'm keeping a close eye for any dew droplets on the leaves. I plant to feed them crushed freeze-dried mealworm bits.
By jadewuvchicken
Some of the dew droplets look like condensation on the whole plant so I'm not sure about feeding them. How do you know when the seedlings are ready to eat?

Oh and here is my young S. flava I got from ebay last thursday. The pitchers got bent from delivery and kept falling over so I tied them loosely lol. It's growing along with my burmannii seedlings.
I like naming my plants. They are both under a 6500k bulb.
I like naming my plants. They are both under a 6500k bulb.
S Flava and Burmannii Chamber.JPG (239.78 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
Last edited by jadewuvchicken on Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nimbulan
You can start feeding them when there's a couple carnivorous leaves on the plant, 3 or 4 to be safe. You want to crush up the food so the particles are about the same size or a little smaller than the dew on the plant. Any larger and you risk fungus growing and damaging the plant. It's very delicate work but it really does help.
nimbulan liked this
By jadewuvchicken
Here's an update on the burmannii seedlings 5/19/15.

They're so much bigger now! I can finally recognize the burmannii characteristics. I was able to feed them tiny mealworm particles and kept them from molding by wiping the excess the day after I feed them. I also began making bigger holes on the saran wrap to slowly acclimate them to dryer conditions.
Burmannii seedlings.jpg
Burmannii seedlings.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Burmannii seedlings 2.jpg
Burmannii seedlings 2.jpg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Burmannii seedlings 3.jpg
Burmannii seedlings 3.jpg (100.42 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
:D

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!