FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
My S. minor has put out a lot of spring pitchers and is looking pretty nice. It's about 3 years old so this is the first time I've seen it do this. I'm surprised how different the pitchers look from in the Fall! I would have never known it was S. minor if I saw it like this.
image.jpg
image.jpg (277.04 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
By xr280xr
Ok, good so it's not just me that thinks this is weird. I just repotted it from a single pot that also contained a leuco and a rubra so I guess it's possible it could be a division one of those that snuck in, however, those are not growing pitchers anything like this right now. The rubra hasn't grown any new pitchers yet, just tiny flowers, and the leuco is growing pitchers with some white that are just about to open. Here's the same plant ("minor") last Fall. Some weird hybrid? *shrug*
S minor fall 14.jpg
S minor fall 14.jpg (239.78 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
I did notice two pitchers like in the first pic last year but I had assumed it the leuco putting out some non-white spring pitchers. They were so thin they just blew over and died pretty quickly. The S. "minor" also grew small pitchers closer to this form than the other from Spring to Summer. The 3 plants were just packed into that pot with so many phyllodes, it was hard to tell what was growing from where.
By xr280xr
xr280xr wrote:I just repotted it from a single pot that also contained a leuco and a rubra so I guess it's possible it could be a division one of those that snuck in
Nope, I verified both pitcher forms are coming from the same rhizome.
By katya_dog1
That is cool. Interesting that it would put out different pitchers, I mean those are TOTALLY different. Wait till fall and see if it was just a very weird spurt or something. If it's not, and it does this all the time....

Strange.
By Morpheus
I want to comment on this but I have no idea what to say... I know the odds of a plant producing such a massive difference in pitcher structure between spring and fall traps is seemingly impossible, or at least so unlikely that I haven't ever seen evidence of it (not saying too much considering I've only been in the hobby for 2.5 years). But, considering that the possibility of a rhizome mix-up has been eliminated, this remains the only possibility... I'm thoroughly puzzled by this... :|
Morpheus liked this
By xr280xr
Morpheus wrote: I haven't ever seen evidence of it (not saying too much considering I've only been in the hobby for 2.5 years). But, considering that the possibility of a rhizome mix-up has been eliminated, this remains the only possibility
Well I will leave these pitchers attached and come fall when the others show up I will dig it out a little bit and show more definitively where they are growing from...or that I'm a idiot and am mistaken. I'm going to have to go back through my PMs and figure out who I got this from too.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I think the best thing to do would be to just check definitively this fall.
By Morpheus
xr280xr wrote:
Morpheus wrote: I haven't ever seen evidence of it (not saying too much considering I've only been in the hobby for 2.5 years). But, considering that the possibility of a rhizome mix-up has been eliminated, this remains the only possibility
Well I will leave these pitchers attached and come fall when the others show up I will dig it out a little bit and show more definitively where they are growing from...or that I'm a idiot and am mistaken. I'm going to have to go back through my PMs and figure out who I got this from too.
I believe you! It's odd but weirder things have happened before so I can't imagine why this is impossible. Highly unlikely-yes, but impossible-probably not haha
By xr280xr
rayneger wrote:I WILL BUY IT OFF YE FOR 1MILLION DOLLA. Jk but that is so wierd.
:lol:
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!