FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Drone232
I would like to know from the Flytrap Forum community what sundews are best for Southern Alabama. I had a few weeks ago placed my several dozen tropical sundews outside for spring and then a surprise frost came last weekend and they all died, or at least seemingly died. I will wait a few months to see if anything still grows and in the mean time, I wish to supplement my carnivorous collection with sundews that I can keep outdoors all year long. I know that I can simply look up temperate sundews and sundews that grow near southern Alabama to see what might do best in my climate, but I would also like the opinion of an experienced community. The temperature here can go up into the 80's and perhaps 90's in the summer and get below freezing for almost a week straight in winter. I will be keeping them in a foot deep and wide plastic container in sphagnum moss.
By Ras
just about any temperate would do fine. the mild summers you describe would be great for most warm temperates and subtropicalsbut you would have to bring them indoors during the frost, or mulch.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!