FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By KHW
Can I ask if I can use orange lighting of voltage AC230-50Hz? I'm currently using this but my flytraps and sundews are not getting the dark red colour that I want. Thanks in advance :D
Cheers
By entropy81
230V 50Hz means Europe? Neither the voltage of the light nor the hertz frequency really matter in terms of how much light comes out and whether it's good.

Orange means High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lamp?

The kelvin color temperature and the wattage are the specs you need to look at.
By entropy81
18 Watts for sure? 18W is not much if it's not an LED... is it an LED? If it's not an LED that sounds inaccurate, or else I'm surprised your plants are alive actually. If it is an LED, you want to look at the lumens, ideally the PAR, or the conventional wattage fixture it's intended as a replacement for, to see how much light you're actually getting.

VFT's would certainly like much more than 18W of non-LED light. I've got mine under 216W T5HO florescent and some under 324W. You don't need that much but I would recommend at least 60W of florescent. It also matters quite a bit how far away from the plant leaves the light is.
entropy81 liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!