FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jeremias159
Hi, I dont know if I am just to over carefull or not, but my plant i bought(nepenthes alata) started to grow again after two weeks from when i got it. It shot up, pointing the growth tip up into the air. Now the growth tip is maby double the length (10cm long), but the tip is doing a u turn growing back down. So the tip is 5cm up, and 5cm down. Is this ok, and will my plant keap on growing? It is about 10cm high without the growth tip. The tip also has a small pitcher starting to grow at the end. Should that growth point grow up? Should I use a stick to keap it growing up?
Sorry i am asking so much :? but i dont have that much experience in that. :oops:
By jwbates26
Take a gallon of water and hold it straight out and keep your arm straight ;) Lets see how long you can go before you lower your arm :D

By your description it sounds like you're giving your plant everything it needs to grow. Its sounds like common growth pattern of nepenthes. They shoot out a new leaf from the center of the growth point and will grow straight out until its large enough to grow a pitcher. Then the leaf start laying out flat unfolds and the tendril will start elongating while the pitcher grows. Once the pitcher has grown to near full size it will start to inflate the lid will pop open and stand up tall. Generally speaking, as long as your tendrils and pitchers are growing you have nothing to worry about. If you want a confirmation its best to upload a picture when you have questions about health. Sometimes with our experience in growing we know what to look for and can see more then you're describing.

Most of us here love when growers share pictures of their plants, so don't be afraid to post pictures.
jwbates26 liked this
By Jeremias159
Hello, lots of people say it will grow like weed. But what does this mean? How many leaves should i grow a month? Is it ok for the humidity to be 60 ? Will it still pitcher? I shall make a new post, but still thank you for any comments here.
By kcbugs
Grow like a weed just means it will grow easily, with minimal care. It may grow 2 or 3 leaves a month. Humidity isn't nearly as important as light. All of my neps are currently indoors, and my humidity is 45%. Keeping the media moist does raise the humidity (locally) at the plant though.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!