FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By konkon89
Was observing my red flytrap seedlings and saw some difference between some of them.

A couple of them grew from the seed slightly reddish green some grew entirely green. And a couple of the reddish ones have a 'split' through the seedling (photo for reference)

Since the species is red, I'm assuming the reddish ones are the correct seeds? Anyone?

On another note, my d intermedia has been growing well, beginner leaves have opened and I'm assuming the nub in the middle is the carnivorous leaves about to grow..
Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1412004353839.png
uploadfromtaptalk1412004353839.png (465.93 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
uploadfromtaptalk1412004137799.png
uploadfromtaptalk1412004137799.png (703.85 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
By katya_dog1
Looks good! Yes, that nub on the Intermedia is a carnivorous leaf. When the seeds say 'red mix' or something like that, that means that a larger percentage of the seedlings will be red. However, since they are all genetically identical, there will be some that are green. for example, out of the 53 seedlings I have, not red mix, only three or four are red. That is about seven percent out of the total. For a 'red mix', maybe 40 percent would be red. If it is a red mix, that simply means that it is more likely that most of the seedlings will be red.
By SFLguy
katya_dog1 wrote: However, since they are all genetically identical, there will be some that are green.

Just want to clarify, it's since the seeds are not genetically identical
Also there is only one species of flytrap, some of them have different physical attributes (color, shape, vigor, etc.) But they are all the same species so as long add what's coming out is a flytrap, then yes, you got the right seeds, just some of them have more of a tendency to be green or red than others :)
SFLguy liked this
By katya_dog1
SFLguy wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote: However, since they are all genetically identical, there will be some that are green.

Also there is only one species of flytrap, some of them have different physical attributes (color, shape, vigor, etc.) But they are all the same species so as long add what's coming out is a flytrap, then yes, you got the right seeds, just some of them have more of a tendency to be green or red than others :)
Yes, sorry, I made a typo. SFLguy answered everything else.
By konkon89
katya_dog1 wrote:
SFLguy wrote:

Yes, sorry, I made a typo. SFLguy answered everything else.
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be getting a really good mix.

By the way, the split along the seedling is totally natural right? It's for the first leaves to open up? Sorry for the silly question, half of my seedlings don't have splits across them (yet?) So I was pretty curious!
By SFLguy
I'm not sure what you mean by a split... care to explain?
By konkon89
SFLguy wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a split... care to explain?
For example, seedling 1 (above) has a split through the middle of the seedling but seedling 2 (below) does not. Not sure if it's natural and because all seedling progress at different rates..
Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1412045072961.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412045072961.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
By tish
There is a reason for the split.

Coz its the first 2 leave of the vft you are looking and these first 2 (sometimes 3) leaves are call cotyledon

You see 1 with split and the other doesn't becaues the other leaf is below, so there should be a split on the sides.

Have a look here
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVXHeggQ_Ew[/youtube]
By konkon89
tish wrote:There is a reason for the split.

Coz its the first 2 leave of the vft you are looking and these first 2 (sometimes 3) leaves are call cotyledon

You see 1 with split and the other doesn't becaues the other leaf is below, so there should be a split on the sides.

Have a look here
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVXHeggQ_Ew[/youtube]
Ahhhh... Makes total sense now, just a matter of angle.

Thanks Tish, your videos are awesome! Seen them before way before joining this forum Image
By konkon89
It has been a week or so.. And my drosera intermedia has finally grown it's first carnivorous leaf! I wonder when will it be a good time to start feeding them. Anyone?
Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1412609776117.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412609776117.jpg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
By katya_dog1
As soon as they have got their first carnivorous leaves. As long as you can, feeding will help a lot. Check out GrowSundews.com for more information.
By tish
If you see dews, you can try feeding, but it will be quite difficult. You could squash an ant and use a tweezer to drop on the dew. Or get dried blood worms, poke a small amt and moist it before feeding to your plant. As small as possible... 1/3 the size of the leaf if possible.
By malika621
I feed my Drosera seedlings crushed beta pellets, but I would recommend waiting until the little babies have about three to four carnivorous leaves before feeding. That way they're a little stronger in case mold or something breaks out. I don't think anyone said that above, but I do apologize if I'm just repeating information, lol. ^-^ Bloodworms are also good. Whichever one you can get your hands on the easiest.
By konkon89
malika621 wrote:I feed my Drosera seedlings crushed beta pellets, but I would recommend waiting until the little babies have about three to four carnivorous leaves before feeding. That way they're a little stronger in case mold or something breaks out. I don't think anyone said that above, but I do apologize if I'm just repeating information, lol. ^-^ Bloodworms are also good. Whichever one you can get your hands on the easiest.
I attempted to feed a tiny bit of crushed ant to only one of my tiny seedling with only one carnivorous leaf. The leaf closed the following morning.

However after one whole day, the leaf is still curled up. How long does it take for the leaf to revert back to its usual state? Perhaps its because my seedling is tiny, its taking longer to finish eating...

Btw the size of ant I fed it is really tiny, about what Tish suggested- 1/3 size of the leaf.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!