FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Goodkoalie
Matt wrote:
Dionae wrote:Its the speedos Matt. Youll have to get you some to even up the score in August;).
Hah! I will never wear one of them!!! In addition to being completely uncomfortable in them, the jammers are actually faster because they cover more skin!
Mabye you should wear a wetsuit? That covers a lot of skin

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By Matt
Goodkoalie wrote:Mabye you should wear a wetsuit? That covers a lot of skin
I do have a wetsuit and I am much faster in it. But unfortunately for a swim to qualify for official records, it must be done in a FINA approved suit. For men, that means nothing longer than down to the knees and nothing above the navel (I think), and it must be made of an approved fabric. Neoprene, which is what wetsuits are made of, is not one of the approved fabrics.
Matt liked this
By katya_dog1
Were you (Matt) biking up a lot of hills? I am 12 and took up running five months ago, and at that time could run 1.7 miles in maybe 15 minutes 20 seconds, which I am not ashamed to admit was pretty pathetic. now I can run two miles in 13 minutes thirty seconds, which is army thunderhawk standards. it is amazing how much better in general I feel when I am exercising regularly. I also bike about 3.5 miles in between running days, but that is substantially harder because I go up hills and do not have a geared bike. I am not up to army standards on push ups or pull ups, but six pull ups at a time, along with 35 push ups, is not terrible. I read that on average, there are more people in the u.s. who can't do more than one pull up than can. That includes children younger than 10 but is pretty scary. I just want to know what I should be trying to work up to in biking, because to do well I need a goal. ;)
By katya_dog1
Oops. I turn thirteen on September 11, so technically I should have said that I am thirteen.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:Were you (Matt) biking up a lot of hills?
Yes, the course in this race was pretty hilly and I practiced on lots of hills before the race.
katya_dog1 wrote:I am 12 and took up running five months ago, and at that time could run 1.7 miles in maybe 15 minutes 20 seconds, which I am not ashamed to admit was pretty pathetic. now I can run two miles in 13 minutes thirty seconds, which is army thunderhawk standards.
Wow!!! That's super impressive. Nice work katya!
katya_dog1 wrote:it is amazing how much better in general I feel when I am exercising regularly.
Yes, I learned long ago (when I was about your age, in fact) that I feel much better day-to-day if I exercise.
katya_dog1 wrote:I am not up to army standards on push ups or pull ups, but six pull ups at a time, along with 35 push ups, is not terrible.
Not at all!
katya_dog1 wrote:I read that on average, there are more people in the u.s. who can't do more than one pull up than can.
That doesn't surprise me, given the obesity epidemic in America. It's really hard to do a pull up when you weigh a lot.
katya_dog1 wrote:I just want to know what I should be trying to work up to in biking, because to do well I need a goal.
First and foremost, make sure you wear a helmet any time you get on a bike. I just had a really bad wreck and certainly wouldn't be typing this if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

On to the point -- For training on a bicycle, it's good to do different types of rides. Sometimes do long climbs to build strength and endurance in your legs. Other times do rides that are shorter and fast to work on speed. If you're running and riding already, you might want to consider learning to swim well. As young as you are, you would probably take to it quickly and then you could start doing some triathlons. Shortest distance on a bike is 10-12 miles, so in terms of working up to something, that would be a good goal!

Good luck with your training, have fun and be healthy and safe!
Matt liked this
By katya_dog1
oooh, no, I always wear a helmet! I have already looked at the pictures from your crash, and I really wish I could show them to the people I see riding a bike with no helmet. Thank you for the information, I will start doing a 5.5 mile route tomorrow. I will try some more speed practice, but where there are hills that go up, they must come down! :) so really I guess I need to push myself harder. Again, thank you for all the advice.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:I will try some more speed practice, but where there are hills that go up, they must come down!
Yes, be cautious on the downhill, but work hard on the uphill and it will pay off!
katya_dog1 wrote:Again, thank you for all the advice.
You're very welcome :)

As long as you've used it I would imagine your wat[…]

is this normal for a d capensis?

While what is said above is true, I have a mini bo[…]

My newest addition I just ordered from Matt. T[…]

What recommendations do you have for types of li[…]

If you didn't get it sold to you as a B52 then it […]

So sorry for the delay, this completely slipped my[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!