FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By orientalthorn
I'm interested in trying to germinate some vft seeds. I haven't bought the seeds yet, just researching on set up. I have a good idea of what I need, but my concern is keeping the temps high enough. Is a heat pad necessary? Would I use a reptile under the tank type or heating pad for people? I don't think the heating pad for people can be left on 24/7... So would I just turn it off and on at regular intervals?
By MrsMuscipula
I don't know how hot reptile mats get, but you can buy heat mats for seeds. They heat 10 - 20 degrees over the ambient temperature.
Heat mats are not absolutely necessary though. You can use grow lights on a timer or put them outside in indirect sunlight (depends on your climate, of course).

I just got some seeds, and I will likely be germinating outside in indirect sunlight, then bring them inside at night. But I am in California, and it's still mid 80s-90s here.
MrsMuscipula liked this
By orientalthorn
Ok perfect! Thanks! I'm just silly....didn't think of putting them out in the shade! I just read lots of controlled setup. It is still warm enough for me to do that right now - mid 70s to low 80s daytime, and I'll bring them in at night. Thanks MrsMuscipula! :)
By orientalthorn
Will do!! Just received my FTS seeds today. Yay! They are currently soaking and will be planted on Friday.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (506.86 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

For more information about characteristics, you wo[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!