FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zwesterfield
Hello, I got my venus fly traps and pitchers from Lowe's. I'm currently using all the soil which was included in original packaging for all plants. They were doing fine at first, and now, it looks wilted and some of the traps have gone black. Some of them are still green though. This is my setup. This is the light I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Light-Desk-Pla ... s=mr+light

I have the plants a few inches from the light. I give the plants of at least 8+ hours of artificial light with about 4+ hours of filtered sunlight in a windowsill then put them back under the light I bought. I give them nothing but distilled water and only that type of water. I never let the soil get too dry, I usually water every 2-3 days watering them in a plate so they can soak up from the bottom. The first photo I have a question about. This is one mentioned about going black. I also have a smaller venus fly trap in with this one planted next to it (don't know if that matters) Is this one healthy? Any tips?
This is the one leaning over the pot with 1-2 black traps.
This is the one leaning over the pot with 1-2 black traps.
black venus fly trap.jpg (595.51 KiB) Viewed 742 times
As for the second trap I got from lowe's in a small pot, in which I repotted into another pot, this is it. Any tips for this one, or is it good?
venus fly trap 2.jpg
venus fly trap 2.jpg (527.27 KiB) Viewed 742 times
As for the third plant, I got him from lowe's starting from out of dormancy, here this guy is. (he's in the same pot included with the small venus fly traps) Will they be okay in the same pot?
IMG_0413[1].JPG
IMG_0413[1].JPG (427.17 KiB) Viewed 742 times
As for the last plant, I have pitcher plants by themselves in the back. I just got them and would like tips to keep them healthy and what they need to survive.
IMG_0414[1].JPG
IMG_0414[1].JPG (527.34 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Thank you!
By Darkrai283
zwesterfield wrote:As for the second trap I got from lowe's in a small pot, in which I repotted into another pot, this is it. Any tips for this one, or is it good?
Judging by the new growth, it's not getting enough light. Therefore I recommend that you give them as much direct sun as you can, as I mentioned in your S. purpurea thread.
zwesterfield wrote:As for the third plant, I got him from lowe's starting from out of dormancy, here this guy is. (he's in the same pot included with the small venus fly traps) Will they be okay in the same pot?
It's another Sarracenia but I can't ID it because the growth is so spindly. It should be fine for now as it looks like it is still a small division or an established seedling but you should think about repotting it soon into it's own pot.
By tommyr
They belong outside in full sun. They will not do well indoors.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!