FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By cvlover
Choose a fertilizer if you can:
Fertilizer has a full macro and micro nutrients:
- Macro nutrients: N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S
- Micro: Fe, Cu, Zn, Mn, Mo, B
Why? so plant get all standard nutrients.

Homogeneous fine grain fertilizer.
Why? so you can use small amount at a time. Each spoon has the same formula, same amount of nutrients N,P,K,Ca ...

How much? for CPs use 1 - 2 gram per liter.
cvlover liked this
By Sander
I tried making some homemade media a few months back, and this worked (without replating they are still alive).

For this i used: 0.28 grams/500 ml of this:
NPK 5+6+7
micronutriënten oplosbaar in water: 0.02% boor (B), 0.004% koper (Cu), 0.04% ijzer (Fe), 0.02% mangaan (Mg), 0.002% molybdeen (Mo), 0.004% zink (zn)

(this was liquid orchid fertilizer)
Sander liked this
By roarke
Sander wrote:I tried making some homemade media a few months back, and this worked (without replating they are still alive).

For this i used: 0.28 grams/500 ml of this:
NPK 5+6+7
micronutriënten oplosbaar in water: 0.02% boor (B), 0.004% koper (Cu), 0.04% ijzer (Fe), 0.02% mangaan (Mg), 0.002% molybdeen (Mo), 0.004% zink (zn)

(this was liquid orchid fertilizer)
Without sugar ? And what is your sterile metod ?
By Sander
It was a recepy found on this forum and contained the following (per 500 ml)

15g sugar
0,28g fertilizer
4g agarose
49g coconut milk
4g vitamin solution (dissolved vit tablet, saturated fluid).

As for sterilization, i microwaved them for about 5-10 minutes.
As i dont have a sterile place to work, i did this in my room and about 40% got contaminated (while controls were blank).
By roarke
I don't have agarose and coconut milk. Coconuts cannot be found anywhere i live. For vitamin solution you used what vitamins ? The link you give me doesen't say how to introduce the plant piece in the jar, after the jar are sterile from the pressure cooker. Opening the sterile jar to put in the plant piece defeats the whole purpose. Or it is enough to open and quicly close it next to a UV light ? And how close to the light may the jar be ?
By Gibbon
If you have any Asian supermarket in your area, maybe you could find coconut milk in tin can and agar powder in sachet.

It doesn't have to be the same brand, but it isn't expensive (cost around $1-$3 in US).
By Sander
roarke wrote:I don't have agarose and coconut milk. Coconuts cannot be found anywhere i live. For vitamin solution you used what vitamins ? The link you give me doesen't say how to introduce the plant piece in the jar, after the jar are sterile from the pressure cooker. Opening the sterile jar to put in the plant piece defeats the whole purpose. Or it is enough to open and quicly close it next to a UV light ? And how close to the light may the jar be ?
I work in a lab myself so i can order nearly anything :)

But as the post above mentioned u can get agarose in oriental shops, and i bought my coco milk there as well (should be sold in supermarkets as well).
As for the vitamin solution i used a vitamin pill used for human consumption, i can look up the content if we still have the jar around.

I sterilized with a microwave, so not exactly the "real" sterilization procedure.
After that i used an aquarium put on its side disinfected it with isopropyl alcohol and bleach solution, no flame or other disinfection sources were used.
All this was done in my room which is not sterile to say the least :lol:

And i indeed tried to do this quickly and tried not to breath while opening the tubes.
Another thing to mention is that i sterilized the seeds by a quick alcohol dip (ipa) and a 10min dip in 0,5% hypochloride solution (10:90 household bleach:sterile water) this was all done in a syringe, and rinsed between baths with a new flask of sterilized RO water (again, microwave).

This was merely to try if i could do something like this, and some d. burmannii and d. capilaris are still on the same media i started with (3-4 months ago), as far as i can see there are no roots and the plantlets stay rather small, i would advice to get coconut water instead to help with the translucence of the media.
By roarke
Why they stood so much time ? Always from seed, in TC, the roots will form later ?
Materials i used for a coleus leaf:
1 plastic vile
1 soap dish with 100 ml clorine
1 soap dish with 100 ml tap water and 30 ml chlorine
1 small round recipient with 20 ml tap water
1 small piece of sponge
2 t8 lights (only one hits the vial directly on its side, at about 4 inches) I had 2 more in the past, but i found sleep bad, with 4 t8 lights.
I have, 21 july, a coleus leaf inside a plastic vile with 1 ml/2 l of tap water (about 240 PPM). 1ml are the nutrients from the below link.
Code: Select all
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/are-this-macronutrients-numbers-good-t24169.html
It has many small bubbles inside the vial, maybe because it is from the sponge piece that holds the coleus leaf inside. First i washed the leaf with tap water, than with clorine, tap water + clorine and i think i forgot to wash it again with tap water, because the leaf had developed small spots with a light brown color. The rest of the leaf is green. I know that tap water should not be used. The bad thing is that the plastic vial can crack if you put pressure by putting the cap on. My did not. Why give the cap a screw form if the vial doesent ? It is very stupid.
But, look what this community has done to me ! Experimenting with life :)
By Sander
roarke wrote:Why they stood so much time ? Always from seed, in TC, the roots will form later ?
Materials i used for a coleus leaf:
1 plastic vile
1 soap dish with 100 ml clorine
1 soap dish with 100 ml tap water and 30 ml chlorine
1 small round recipient with 20 ml tap water
1 small piece of sponge
2 t8 lights (only one hits the vial directly on its side, at about 4 inches) I had 2 more in the past, but i found sleep bad, with 4 t8 lights.
I have, 21 july, a coleus leaf inside a plastic vile with 1 ml/2 l of tap water (about 240 PPM). 1ml are the nutrients from the below link.

But, look what this community has done to me ! Experimenting with life :)
Well, mostly as an experiment how long they can last in the same tube, and i know when hormones are used, sometimes roots wont form (due to putting all energy in foliar growth), thats why u need to transplant to a "rooting medium" (mostly containing IBA).

Looks good, its a really fun thing to try out!
By BigBella
One of my earliest and successful attempts at tissue culture, involved the use of 1:4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer as media, dissolved in distilled water; 3% sucrose; and 4 grams per liter of agar agar, obtained at a local Asian supermarket chain. It was a bit cloudier than I would have liked; but it did work.

An unlikely source for many oddball materials -- particularly outside the US -- is Amazon, which now sells most anything and everything . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Agar-Powder-Ounce ... =Agar+agar
By roarke
I don't have a photo, but the coleus leaf started a root. Being that after 3 days and with a small crack in the cap (i forgot about that before i made the experiment), a small 2 mm root appeared. So, it worked and no mold appeared.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!