FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By orios
Hello everyone,
Im new in the forums and on growing flytraps!
I love this forum, i have learned a lot of things!
Im growing my plants indoor because the tempeture outdoors in my country will certainly kill them.
I am growing these babies:

So i have the feeling that the light that gets to them from the window isnt enough, so at my place i currently have two lightbulbs: a fluoresent one and a led. Here they are:

Led:

Fluorescent:
(i dont hace the box of this one, sorry)

Wich one of these two should i use?
And is it okay or should i get a growing bulb?
Cheers,
Oscar
PD: sorry for my bad english
By Matt
Hello Oscar and welcome to FlytrapCare :)
orios wrote:Im growing my plants indoor because the tempeture outdoors in my country will certainly kill them.
Where do you live?

Indoor growing is challenging and, in general, it's hard to get sufficient light for the plants. The fluorescent bulb you have would be OK to use, but I doubt it will provide enough light for even one plant to grow well.

I don't know much about indoor growing, only what I've done which is use 4 foot shop light fixtures with T8 bulbs with a color temperature of 6500K. I also have some high output T5 bulbs that work really well.
By orios
I live in the south of chile. I get good amounts of light from the exterior, but i have the feeling its not enough. So i would like to increase the light and give my plant a mix of artifitial and natural light. Like this:Image
Thanks you for your response Matt

I have the feeling that this will be ok right?
By orios
roarke wrote:It must be from Brasil or other latin country. Can you show us your led light, orios.
The led light is a house reading bulb that is in the green picture in the first post
By Matt
orios wrote:I live in the south of chile. I get good amounts of light from the exterior, but i have the feeling its not enough.
Natural sunlight will always be better than any type of artificial light. As long as it's not freezing outside, I'd recommend getting them as much natural sunlight as possible.

The photo you show helps get an idea of what you'll be doing. I don't think that will be enough light for the plants to be healthy. Try to get them as close to the light as possible and be sure not to over water them, which is very easy to do when growing indoors. Best to keep the soil just barely damp.
Matt liked this
By orios
Well, it gets freezing cold in the night (we are in winter over here) i guess i will take them out on spring.
I also wanted to skip the dormancy on theese plants because they all arent even 1 year old.
Is there any problem to the plants if i take them out during the day and bring them back indoors at night?

I have had them for more than a month and i think i got the idea on how to not overwater them :)
The light emits a little bit of heat. Is it okay to keep them as close if it gets warmer near the light?

So i had in mind to keep them in my room, as close as possible to the window and with this lamp pointing at them till night falls
By Matt
orios wrote:I also wanted to skip the dormancy on theese plants because they all arent even 1 year old.
I never recommend skipping dormancy, even for seedlings and very small plants. The few times I've done it, the plants always end up set back further than the ones that were allowed to have a full dormancy.
orios wrote:Is there any problem to the plants if i take them out during the day and bring them back indoors at night?
That would be fine. While some people don't recommend moving plants around, I've never had any problems doing so. I often move plants in and out of greenhouses when the weather is too cool in the nights and early mornings.
orios wrote:The light emits a little bit of heat. Is it okay to keep them as close if it gets warmer near the light?
They should be as close to the light as possible without suffering from being too hot.
By orios
Allright matt,
Thank you very much!
I will turn off my light and keep them indoors in a room where theres no heating and close to a window. For what i have read, the reduced light and temperatures should make them go into dormancy. I suppose theres no need to put them in the fridge haha
By roarke
orios wrote:Allright matt,
Thank you very much!
I will turn off my light and keep them indoors in a room where theres no heating and close to a window. For what i have read, the reduced light and temperatures should make them go into dormancy. I suppose theres no need to put them in the fridge haha
I meant if you could show us the led lamp, not the cardbox of it.
By cyph3r_gfy
Honestly they both look wrong. The led is weak in lumens, and the other is the wrong color temperature. Look for a bulb at 6500k... or an led that puts out at least 2000 lumens. Try a grow specific website or a local hardware/garden store.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By orios
cyph3r_gfy wrote:Honestly they both look wrong. The led is weak in lumens, and the other is the wrong color temperature. Look for a bulb at 6500k... or an led that puts out at least 2000 lumens. Try a grow specific website or a local hardware/garden store.
Is it okay an E27
6500k bulb that produces around 1400 lumens?
(For my two little droseras)
By cyph3r_gfy
That should work. Find out what the 'half life' is and plan to replace it as the brightness of the bulb is down to about 70%.
By orios
Alright cyph3r
Thanks you all very much to everyone that answered!!
Im really apretiated
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!