FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Alex
I bought this on eBay and it claimed to be a B52. I'm no expert, so what do you guys think? I thought B52s were normally lower than that.
By bvalente
Alex wrote:Image
I bought this on eBay and it claimed to be a B52. I'm no expert, so what do you guys think? I thought B52s were normally lower than that.

Generally from what I've read, unless it is specifically named a B52 when you got it, chances are it is just a typical. Not saying typicals are less desirable than other cultivars, they have many characteristics and can take a life of their own and become very interesting. Named cultivars are an exact genetic match, obtained by leaf pullings or tissue cultures, they grow with the exact same characteristics as the clone plant.

I personally like getting typical VFT, you never know what characteristics it will have because each one is different, same goes for seed grown VFT. Cultivars you know what you're going to get and what to expect, they are still nice to have.
By Matt
If it came from a reputable seller and was labeled a B52, then it is likely a B52. But as bvalente said, if it wasn't specifically labeled or if there is any doubt about the origins of the plant, the flytrap should be considered a typical.
By Alex
The user was fingers001 http://www.ebay.com/usr/fingers001?_trk ... 1439.l2754

He has 100% positive feedback,and has sold many 'B52s' before. I hope it is in fact a B52. I don't know if this helps, but the traps are very dark red now. Thanks for the help!

Additionally, here's where I got it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111380626018?ss ... 1439.l2649
By Alex
Awesome! Thanks for the help. :) I wasn't too sure because like I originally said, the traps were so far from the ground. Will they eventually get lower? And how old do you think it is?
By Matt
B52 isn't really a ground-hugging plant. Sometimes it produces traps that are low to the ground, certainly in the fall and winter like all flytraps, but much of the spring and summer it has growth that is somewhat upright.
Alex wrote:And how old do you think it is?
Age is mostly irrelevant when it comes to flytraps, especially clones, since they are coming from division.
Matt liked this
By Jds197
I just purchased a "B52" and a Drosera Regia off of Fingers001 and had a similar discussion here http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/dcxl-t24113.html DTDream18 pointed out that Fingers001 might be using seed grown typicals with B52 parents rather than actual B52s propagated through leaf cuttings, tissue culture, or division. I messaged Fingers001, and found out that this is in fact the case. So in short, no, this is not a B52. However, it is a vigorous growing, large typical that shares many traits with a B52. I have yet to receive my plants, but from the looks of yours, they're fairly nice. It's still a good catch either way.
By Alex
Well that's too bad. Luckily, from what I've seen, they have grown very large. I already have a trap that's big enough to eat a quarter! Hopefully yours will grow as nicely. He did a great job of shipping them.
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!