FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By diciccoa
I have a couple questions but I will give you a little bit of background first.
I bought this about a year ago almost and I got it from a garden center that takes ok care of their plants,
I have cut off about 6 flower stalks and it has been multiplying like crazy since i got it.
Every couple weeks I have to cut off the flower stalk, I am just worried it will take to much energy from the plant.
I started it indoors under a light bulb and it seemed to be doing ok.
Then this summer I put it out in the sun.

When I first got it and repotted it I used sphagnum peat moss with perlite about 50/50 and it was drying up on top, so now
I use a spray bottle and mist it well everyday so it stays moist, also water it from the bottom, only when its dry.
Seems to be doing well but I want to know what type of flytrap I have and whether i should separate the plants?
If I do separate them should I keep them in the same pot just separate them or should I put them into separate pots?

I am new to this so any tips/pointers would be appreciated!

Top left of this picture is my baby double trap <3

Last edited by diciccoa on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bvalente
As far as what type it is, unless it comes with a name tag with it, it generally will be a typical VFT. Not degrading it by its name at all, typicals have great characteristics and are pretty much the same thing as a seed grown VFT, it just doesn't have a set type of characteristics it will have, each typical (like a seed grown VFT) will be different. Different growth rates, trap sizes, coloring, growth habits, etc. It makes them very interesting.

It sounds like you already know most of your stuff but here is just some stuff I learned and picked up as I went.

As far as tips for growing them, your plants look very healthy! Judging by the dead fly one has, it looks like they get fed somewhat regularly. That's awesome! When VFT (or any carnivorous plant) eat, that is its "fertilizer." You can't put them in Miracle-Gro or any type of potting/garden soil, anything with nutrients in the soil will kill it. You can use a standard mix (50% peat moss and 50% perlite) or many people recommend getting Better-Gro Orchid Moss (long fibered sphagnum). I personally life LFSM better than a 50/50 mix, if you check on your plants regularly you shouldn't have a problem. It's hard to tell from your photo, but the pot might look a little shallow. VFT roots don't grow wide, they grow pretty much straight down, so the deeper the better but looking to get at least 5-6 inches in depth. As far as separating the plants, that's all based on preference. I personally separate all mine that way I can monitor each plant individually and each one has its own environment. Others like theirs all in one pot. So to each their own, that's all on how you want to grow it.

Feeding it bugs or dried bloodworms works great, but you don't need to feed it if it is outside, it will catch what it needs on its own. Plus keep in mind it is still a plant and uses the sun for photosynthesis to make its food, catching prey is just a bonus.

Lighting, outside is going to be your best bet. It has the best spectrum of light for plants, obviously since they're supposed to be outside, plus it is free. If you're able to keep your plants outside all year round, Mother Nature will be able to put your plants into dormancy on its own due to the natural photoperiod. However if you're going to grow them indoors, T5HO lighting is going to be your best bet. You'll want a 6500K light (cool temp.) and a 3000K light (warm temp.). This will help give it both ends of the spectrum it NEEDS. Obviously from the sun it will be able to get these temps and much more at better intensities than we can produce with a bulb.
bvalente, bvalente liked this
By mnwatson1
Bvalente did an excellent job of outlining most everything there is for a beginner. I'm sure you've been watering with appropriate water, as you've had the plant awhile. You'll likely want to repot yearly, as fresh media just as it breaks dormancy (or just before,) helps encourage better growth.

As for separating the plants, it's totally up to you. When you repot, they may divide themselves, practically falling apart. There's no issue leaving them together, either. They typically don't have a problem with crowding, as (like bvalente said,) the roots grow straight down. :) Great looking plants!!!
mnwatson1 liked this
By diciccoa
bvalente wrote:As far as what type it is, unless it comes with a name tag with it, it generally will be a typical VFT. Not degrading it by its name at all, typicals have great characteristics and are pretty much the same thing as a seed grown VFT, it just doesn't have a set type of characteristics it will have, each typical (like a seed grown VFT) will be different. Different growth rates, trap sizes, coloring, growth habits, etc. It makes them very interesting.

It sounds like you already know most of your stuff but here is just some stuff I learned and picked up as I went.

As far as tips for growing them, your plants look very healthy! Judging by the dead fly one has, it looks like they get fed somewhat regularly. That's awesome! When VFT (or any carnivorous plant) eat, that is its "fertilizer." You can't put them in Miracle-Gro or any type of potting/garden soil, anything with nutrients in the soil will kill it. You can use a standard mix (50% peat moss and 50% perlite) or many people recommend getting Better-Gro Orchid Moss (long fibered sphagnum). I personally life LFSM better than a 50/50 mix, if you check on your plants regularly you shouldn't have a problem. It's hard to tell from your photo, but the pot might look a little shallow. VFT roots don't grow wide, they grow pretty much straight down, so the deeper the better but looking to get at least 5-6 inches in depth. As far as separating the plants, that's all based on preference. I personally separate all mine that way I can monitor each plant individually and each one has its own environment. Others like theirs all in one pot. So to each their own, that's all on how you want to grow it.

Feeding it bugs or dried bloodworms works great, but you don't need to feed it if it is outside, it will catch what it needs on its own. Plus keep in mind it is still a plant and uses the sun for photosynthesis to make its food, catching prey is just a bonus.

Lighting, outside is going to be your best bet. It has the best spectrum of light for plants, obviously since they're supposed to be outside, plus it is free. If you're able to keep your plants outside all year round, Mother Nature will be able to put your plants into dormancy on its own due to the natural photoperiod. However if you're going to grow them indoors, T5HO lighting is going to be your best bet. You'll want a 6500K light (cool temp.) and a 3000K light (warm temp.). This will help give it both ends of the spectrum it NEEDS. Obviously from the sun it will be able to get these temps and much more at better intensities than we can produce with a bulb.
Thanks for all of the advice!
and it actually catches everything on its own, I rarely feed it.
I keep it outside now, but when winter comes it will get really cold here in Canada... I wouldnt want to leave it outside.
By diciccoa
mnwatson1 wrote:Bvalente did an excellent job of outlining most everything there is for a beginner. I'm sure you've been watering with appropriate water, as you've had the plant awhile. You'll likely want to repot yearly, as fresh media just as it breaks dormancy (or just before,) helps encourage better growth.

As for separating the plants, it's totally up to you. When you repot, they may divide themselves, practically falling apart. There's no issue leaving them together, either. They typically don't have a problem with crowding, as (like bvalente said,) the roots grow straight down. :) Great looking plants!!!
Yes distilled water only :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!