FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By trooperkris
I just purchased an S. Flava, and once I receive it in the mail, I will do a seller review on it.
Up until now, I've stuck with the smaller sarracenias (purpurea and scarlet belle), and apparently the s. Flava can get pretty tall. I was just wondering if there are any tips from anyone on how to raise my big baby, once I get it.

1) Should I start off by getting a huge pot, and just letting it grow into it? It will come shipped in a 3-inch pot, but I can easily repot it if need be, since they get big.

2) is the odor they produce like an overwhelming smell? In the winter, I will move them into my cold garage, and don't want them to gas us out of our garage, since it's connected to my house. XD

3) How tolerant are they to wind? With my scarlet belle, a small breeze blows it's pitchers around like crazy, so I want to know if I should take any precautions to wind.

4) in the winter time, when I've moved it into my garage, should I focus the lights I use on the plant's leaves, or more on the rhizome? I don't own a shop light, like I see in many peoples pictures. I use like a desk lamp, with a daylight fluorescent bulb in it.

Those are just a few of my questions I have. Any other helpful advice would be lovely. Oh and btw, thank you flytrapcare, I now live and breathe cp's :D
Last edited by trooperkris on Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By parker679
Congrats, flavas are one of my favorite Sarrs.

1. I don't like to go too big because you're going to want to repot it every couple years anyway and if you go too big it's a waste. For a single division I like something about 5-6 inches across and as deep as I can find.

2. It's the flowers that stink so you only need to worry about it in late winter early spring when it's flowering. Mine are outside so I only notice it when I try but I've heard of a single plant stinking up an entire room. The smell doesn't last too long though.

3. They can handle wind ok but too stong of a gust may knock the pitcher over. The problem is wind AND rain where the pitcher fills with water and tips. You can just put a stake in the pot and tie off any pitcher that tip over.

4. Light on a rhizome really won't do too much so I wold focus on the leaves. How to you over winter your other Sarrs?

What type of flava did you get? If you like the flava you should look into Moorei which are flava X leuco hybrids. Moorei are some of the most beautiful plants out there. 'Adrian Slack', "Blood Moon", 'Leah Wilkerson', to name a few are all Moorei.
By Goodkoalie
1) I would let it grow for the season, then repot it next winter. It would do fine in the 3 inch pot, and then i would move it to a 5-6 inch pot. Most of my single adult rubras are in 4-5 inch pots, and i have a larger comunity pot (8 inches)that has 2 different rubras in it.

2) Rubras make no smell, the flowers are odorless or smell sweet like Kool-Aid

3) Scarlet belle's are a hyrbid between a upright and lowgrowing species, and i have found htat they have very unstable pitchers. Most pure species can handle the wind fine, but you can stake the leaves if you want.

4)Focus on the leaves, they photosynthesis for the plant over winter.

Rurbas are one of my favorte plants. What kind did of rubra did you get?
By parker679
trooperkris wrote:Wow, I just realized I bought an entirely different sarracenia than what I posted about. I bought an S. rubra instead :o oops

Way to disappoint. :lol:

Everything is pretty much the same except no strong smells. Rubra's won't get as big but I still like those sized pots for my sarrs.

What did you get? I kind of like rubra subsp. wherryi since it only gets like 7 inches tall.
By cdelavan
I purchased an S. flava from California Carnivores about a month ago and already it's sending up pitchers like crazy! My biggest one so far measures nearly 1 foot in height. Some of the big boys of S. flava that they have over at California Carnivores measure around 4 feet in height!
By SFLguy
parker679 wrote:Get it from Mike Wang, here is his sale post on the forum: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/sarra ... 18602.html

Shipping is $6 or 15%, whichever is greater. He's got about 40 something varieties of flava.
On top of that, I've heard he has some of the best pitchers on the market :) looking forward to buying an HCW from him soon

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
SFLguy liked this
By mnwatson1
Just chiming in to say that yes, flava flowers smell like skunk or cat spray. I seriously thought one of my cats had sprayed the room when mine flowered this year, and that was one plant. It is awful, and lasts about a week or two until all the petals drop.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By SFLguy
I may be incorrect, but I believe flowers close quicker if they get fertilized

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
How quick do VFT roots grow?

Plant and other than watering, forget about it. Mi[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

they are back outside https://i.imgur.com/mW2klN[…]

took my neps outside, look at that moss! https:/[…]

+ bulk means that in addition to already-made pack[…]

Ah. I can find him on social media? He is on F[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1649. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!