FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LSU Kid
To tell this tale, I must mention that the weather down here in South Louisiana has been warm and sunny. I only recently found my first VFT at Lowes. Read and re-read this website. Added a few typicals and got a few from Flytrapstore. Everybody is doing fine. Slightly over a month and i see new growth.

I have been growing hot peppers for several years. And with this recent burst of 80 degree weather and sunny days, my peppers have been exploding with growth. New pepper I'm growing this year is Carolina Reaper, hottest pepper in the world. So, I needed to make a Lowes run to get some supplies for the peppers. I casually moseyed by the small section where the carnivores are kept. Looked at some very nice vft's, large traps, pretty red colors. bright lively greens. But i don't need any more vft's right now. And if I got more, it would be from flytrapstore, G16, DCXL. I like large and red. And I like what I got from fts just a few weeks ago. Then It Happened. I saw something different in one of those horrid plastic cases. Purple Pitcher. Sarracenia purpurea. (Wish I had taken Latin in school). I had to get it. $9.95. Re-potted it in a container mostly filled with peat, perlite and sand with a top layer of lfsm. I had to clean it up some. It was covered with loose fibers and moss debris. Looked like some evil entity shook the container spreading the loose moss all over. I gently sprayed the outside of the pitchers with water (ro, of course) and tried to brush off some of the debris. Worked okay. I might have gotten more off if i was more aggressive, but i didn't want to do that. So my grow list increases. I was lured.
purple pitcher day1g.jpg
purple pitcher day1g.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
By Eric
Good looking Purp!
Eric liked this
By cdelavan
Looks great! Once it acclimates and you give it tons of sunlight that plant will change dramatically! I bought an S. purpurea from Lowe's in March and it looks totally different now. Sunlight works wonders! :)
cdelavan liked this
By LSU Kid
Theplantman479 wrote:Plants are looking great, but i believe the trinidad scorpion is the worlds hottest pepper.
On December 26, 2013, the Guinness Book of World Records voted the Carolina Reaper the world's hottest pepper, replacing the Trinidad moruga scorpion, which I also grow. I also grow Bhut Joloka (Ghost Pepper), Scotch Bonnet, Habaneros, Tabascos, Jalapenos and Peter Peppers. I preserve some, freeze some, but mostly make my own hot sauces. I will combine several of the peppers in one hot sauce to try for tremendous high amounts of heat, (scoville units) with a distinctive flavor. A drop will do you, but it's got to add a good flavor, different than what is commercially available.
By Rmac88
They look good! Just got me a S. Purpurea from Lowe's yesterday, can't wait for them to start growing. From what I've seen Lowe's Purpurea's can really take off and look great!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Rmac88 liked this

I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I&rsq[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Rain

A little kids' wading pool works well, too. It has[…]

Sundew in forest

Bugs are the foundation of the ecosystem. Killin[…]

S. purpurea?

Looks like a hybrid to me, purpurea crossed with f[…]

Okay, thanks for the tip. I don't want to fully re[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!