FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Brildayr
I have been growing some sphagnum moss at my office that I purchased at flytrapstore a year ago (longer?). It had been doing fine until I changed the light. I have it under 2x2ft bulbs. HO 24W 6400K. Its not dead, its red and blonde with a few hints of green. At least I think its red (and hopefully not brown). I'm attaching a couple pics.

Also, I have some sphagnum moss at home. it looks like a different type that I bought on Ebay. Pics of it maybe tomorrow. Its more or less green.

I water all my plants with nothing but distilled water.

The TDS of the water in the flytrapstore moss is from 8ppm to 15ppm depending on where I place the meter. I tried to flush it with distilled water using plastic tubing to syphon off the old water and then add new. I think I flushed it out with about 1/2 gal of water. that brought the TDS down to 2ppm to 8ppm, again depending on where I placed the probe. However, a day or two later, its now back to the "pre-flushing" figures.

The other sphagnum at home keeps at 1 - 2ppm.

1) what is the average TDS for other people here?
2) should I flush it again?

3) Is my office sphagnum just getting a ton of light and turning red?

thanks for any help.
Brildayr
sphag_0005.jpg
sphag_0005.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
sphag_0004.jpg
sphag_0004.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
By Sander
My observations about sphagnum growing:

Stagnant air is a plus, at least 80% humidity, submerce once a month for a day or 2, no full sun day round (indirect is better unless u know for sure it is a red species), and my TDS rating is around 15-20 ppm.

I think u might be giving them to much light, try to split the batch and let 1 batch stay as is, and the other to indirect light only.
By Brildayr
Thanks for the info!

I've moved it from directly under the HO bulbs to just off to the side. Will see if that makes a difference. I will remember to drown them one a month. Thanks for the sanity check on the TDS readings.
Trying My Hand With TC

Hi. I'm on the same road as you, to learn TC. Whic[…]

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Boy this is hard work

It's been almost a year since I've really interact[…]

Kinetin va BAP

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BAP in[…]

As long as you've used it I would imagine your wat[…]

is this normal for a d capensis?

While what is said above is true, I have a mini bo[…]

My newest addition I just ordered from Matt. T[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!