FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
Sorry, I don't have any seeds for them, but you might be able to find them for sale online somewhere by their botanical name, Impatiens balsamina. I used to grow them a long time ago, and they are SO much fun! When the seed pods first form, before they get ripe and turn brown, it's a little, curled, bright green thing kinda like a pod of sugar snap peas but much smaller. I used to gently pick them off the plant and show them to people who weren't familiar with the plant. I told them it looked like some kind of weird alien thing I'd found on the plant and that I could feel a tiny heart beating inside of it. When they didn't believe me, I'd lay it in the palm of their hand and ask if they could feel it. When they said no, I'd tell them to press their fingertip against until they could feel it. The slightest pressure would make it immediately spring and pop open, and the screams of horror were such a delight! :twisted:
Leo756, Leo756 liked this
By parker679
Leo756 wrote:Sorry, I don't have any seeds for them, but you might be able to find them for sale online somewhere by their botanical name, Impatiens balsamina. I used to grow them a long time ago, and they are SO much fun! When the seed pods first form, before they get ripe and turn brown, it's a little, curled, bright green thing kinda like a pod of sugar snap peas but much smaller. I used to gently pick them off the plant and show them to people who weren't familiar with the plant. I told them it looked like some kind of weird alien thing I'd found on the plant and that I could feel a tiny heart beating inside of it. When they didn't believe me, I'd lay it in the palm of their hand and ask if they could feel it. When they said no, I'd tell them to press their fingertip against until they could feel it. The slightest pressure would make it immediately spring and pop open, and the screams of horror were such a delight! :twisted:
It would be worth it to grow the plant just to this. LoL, thanks for the laugh Leo. :lol:
By Maiden
Hello

I grow 2 big mimosa pudica here, and my plants produced 3 seeds this year. So generous

But commercial seeds can be easily found on the net.
By Leo756
roarke wrote:I think stubbingsj is talking about mimosa pudica.
If so, that's a really good example of the confusion that results from using common names rather than Latin botanical names. I've always heard the common name for that one is "sensitive plant" because it's basically a smaller version of a mimosa tree whose leaves curl up very quickly when touched. (Full size mimosa trees do the same thing but so slowly it's not really visible to the naked eye.) On the other hand, "touch-me-not" usually refers to a wild type of impatiens flower which are called that because of the explosive nature of their seed pods. There can always be some overlap with common names though. (For example, there are probably hundreds or thousands of different nocturnally blooming plants that are called "moonflowers".) That's why scientists came up with specific two-word genus and species designations for every organism on the planet.
Leo756, Leo756 liked this
By darren4373
Hi
I have just harvested my mimosa pudica seeds( giant yellow flower form 50++) today.this form is very large some can grow into a tree size.I will either trade or sale.( prefer trade)I don't want to deal with cash!;)
Pm me if interested!
Darren
By Maiden
Oh, my mimosa pudica push me purple flower.

Can i see a picture of your yellow flower? It look like a hair ball ?
By darren4373
I help take a picture of the yellow flower Mimosa but not now.because my plant is currently not flowering. Sorry .but yes it look like the normal pink/ purple flower but slightly bigger and different in colour.

Thanks!
Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!