FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
Gothic TRAPS wrote:Nice pics, parker679 :)! You're bound to get a good boost of growth after the rains and certainly into a sunny stretch.
Seriously. I've only lived in Tallahassee for about 6-7 years but I can't remember a time where we've had this much rain this frequently. It's rained at least once a day for the last 3 weeks and a few times it dropped 2-3 inches.

;) At least I know all my soil is flushed out really well.
By coline
parker679 wrote: Seriously. I've only lived in Tallahassee for about 6-7 years but I can't remember a time where we've had this much rain this frequently. It's rained at least once a day for the last 3 weeks and a few times it dropped 2-3 inches.

That reminds me so much of my climate lol, now we are having some dry climate due to the solstice (as I figured out the climate works here) but at the end of this month and august should be more rainy, every day afternoon rains or full dark weeks.
By Gothic TRAPS
parker679 wrote:
Gothic TRAPS wrote:Nice pics, parker679 :)! You're bound to get a good boost of growth after the rains and certainly into a sunny stretch.
Seriously. I've only lived in Tallahassee for about 6-7 years but I can't remember a time where we've had this much rain this frequently. It's rained at least once a day for the last 3 weeks and a few times it dropped 2-3 inches.

Sounds like Pacific Northwest weather that we experience for 2/3 of the year up here. I hope all things go back to normal in sunny Florida ;).
By parker679
happiness wrote:I'd love to see a close up of all your venus flytraps! :D
I got some close-ups posted in the other thread I started, here.
xr280xr wrote:Wow, your plants all look amazing! I love the pitcher in that second pic. Stunning. Good growing!
Thanks! That was the second CP I got after my Lowes VFT. I purchased it under the impression is was a leucophylla but I am 99% sure it's a leuco hybrid. Other than its lack of official pedigree it's identical to 'Daina's Delight'. It will get as dark as the pitcher in the first picture.
By parker679
Dionae wrote:Beautiful plants!

Wow! Give you one of my kids for a div of this. You'll have to take the oldest one though;).
This is by far the luckiest of my acquisitions. A while ago there was a post, I'm pretty sure by you, of what I think was "flava atropurpurea X alata nigrapurpurea" but I could be mistaken on exact variants. Anyway, the specific plant was some cultivar with only a few representatives and all in Europe. I started searching for a similar cross and thanks to google found a nursery that had a "flava red tube X alata black tube". Long story short the nursery belongs or used to belong to Lois Ochs who was nice enough to sell me a division of the flava X alata which so far is a beautiful plant.

BUT, the plant in the picture was a freebie she tossed in, S. 'Black Widow'. She actually wasn't sure at the time that it was 'Black Widow' but knew for sure it was one of Phil Faulisi's four plants. Luckily the 4 are pretty distinct from one another so when it started growing pitchers I knew for sure her guess was right.
parker679 liked this
By parker679
Dionae wrote:Oh, so thats Black Widow? Cool. Thats a very very nice sarracenia.

The hybrid is alata nigrapurpurea x Leah Wilkerson.
It was your post, I found it.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/one-o ... 18536.html

My plants still have nothing on that one though. Man, such a deep, dark purple.

The cultivar description for 'Black Widow' reads "Eventually the red-black colour fills in, turning nearly the entire pitcher a deep, shimmering, maroon. As the season progresses the pitcher colours continue to deepen becoming a deep lustrous purple-black..." Based on that I'm hoping the pitcher keeps getting darker. The first pitcher that grew got pretty dark but I lost it to "indigestion", we get a couple months of love bugs here and I usually lose my first crop of pitchers because they all fill up with bugs.
By Dionae
Oh, yeah, that plant. I still love that plant and want it more than any other sarr.

I've wanted Black Widow forever. I have a hybrid and some of the seedlings look like they might lean towards the BW. I lose a lot of my nicest pitchers from them being full of bugs too. I hate it when the traps are so efficient lol.

Too bad you moved away, you could come get these t[…]

Hello. I have a N. dubia that is right now in flow[…]

Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!