FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By rehrlich
Hey all,
I have a few questions about media in general, but mostly how it pertains to supplementing wheat growth. I only ask because I'm working for Bayer cropsciences out of UNL's agricultural division this summer, I'm looking to contribute and make a good impression. I found it funny that wheat grows in a very similar medium to VFT's and other carnivorous plants. They thrive in airy acidic soil (pH 5.5 - 6.5) and as of now where I am working using a peat/ perlite base as well as additional vermiculite for a silicate supplement. They do need a this silicate to grow stiff strong stalks. My supervisor has been receptive to new ideas in lieu of growing the wheat (i.e. new mediums and potential led lighting). I've recommended the use of coconut coir as well as silica sand. Granted, the coir would need to be properly washed to accommodate the acidic properties needed. I have an idea of a standard 50% coir, 30% perlite, 20% silica sand, but need to compensate an area for the vermiculite. Any suggested ratios or additional components to the mix? As for lighting I've suggested have an area of predominately blue spectrum lights for the seedlings/ early development and vegetative growth; eventually shifting them to an area of a more predominately red spec area for flowering. Theoretically, this seems like a good idea but is it? (I'm asking all you heavy led users out there) :) Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've been told that some side experimentation will be happening soon. ;)
Thanks everyone,
Ryan
Rain

Nice catch!!!

Too bad you moved away, you could come get these t[…]

Hello. I have a N. dubia that is right now in flow[…]

Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!