FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By coline
Chipi, I use the trays you actually have and they are great, because even when you say they waste water, that extra water helps create a high humidity atmosphere around the plants, it is absorbed through capilarity even when it is a little below the plants, and prevents the water logging as they make the plants do not sit on water for too long. Normally I may even let the whole tray dry out before watering (7cm pots) and plants are always in great condition.
By xr280xr
Kind of looks like an oil drip pan. You might find something similar at an auto store. The good thing about the tray with the grooves is it prevents your pots from sealing against the bottom and keeping the water out of the holes.
xr280xr liked this
By parker679
I use the trays you have now, except mine are white. They work great, the depth means I don't have to drill drainage holes. I fill them to the top in the summer and refill when they are almost dry and in the winter I half fill them and let them dry before refilling. The amount of water that remains in the grooves is pretty negligible compared to the amount of water you're giving the plants.

Another option would be those flat storage containers for under the bed like this. With those though you will want to put a couple drainage holes since they're about 6 inches deep. I use one for my larger/taller pots.
By xr280xr
The bad thing about storage containers like that, in Tx and Az at least, is the sun will quickly destroy them. I used a couple clear ones like that as a green house a couple winters ago and they were destroyed in 9 months.
By parker679
xr280xr wrote:The bad thing about storage containers like that, in Tx and Az at least, is the sun will quickly destroy them. I used a couple clear ones like that as a green house a couple winters ago and they were destroyed in 9 months.
Good point, I wasn't even thinking about UV/weather damage.
VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!