FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By DragonflyGuy
I'm having trouble deciding on what kind of grow lights to use for my terrarium. I made my own custom light fixture housing that is 25.5 inches x 11.5 inches x 2.75 inches and fits on top of the terrarium. I bought a couple of cheap 22 inch Utilitech Grow light fixtures from Lowes but I've had both fixtures fail within two months so I'm returning them.

The terrarium sits by a window and the plants receive sunlight from around 12:30pm until 4:30pm - 8:00pm (depending on time of year) so I set the timer to turn the lights on for two 4 hour periods in early morning and late evening. The terrarium is mostly filled with Nepenthes and a few Drosera and with natural sunlight alone, they seem to do alright. The Drosera are a bit on the green side but they do grow.

That being said, I think they could benefit from having some kind of auxiliary light system to help the plants during cloudy winters. So does anyone here have good recommendations that would work for the situation as I have described?

I've had one person suggest using a blue/red LED system.
By Sander
U could try the red-blue light, or build your own light.

The downside from red-blue lights are that its looks awful, the look black-purple, and it would be quite easy to make your own light especially build for your terrarium.

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

You are spot on with your own points.rubra rubra s[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

Early requests are not allowed, you'll need to mak[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!