FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By LAKJP
I will soon order some VFT's, and I'd like to get suggestions for green-leafed and red-leafed flytraps. Personally, I don't really thrive over the ones that are below the average in size (diameter). If possible, I'd also like to know if they are good seeders or not.

Thank you.
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare!
LAKJP wrote:I will soon order some VFT's
From where are you planning to order the flytraps? A list of available varieties, or perhaps a list of some of the ones you're most interested in, would help us make suggestions. There are plenty of giant flytraps available :)
By LAKJP
As I live in Canada, I will order from Keehn's Carnivores. It is my first time ordering VFT, so I don't know much about them and that's why I'd like some suggestions with some description.
By LAKJP
Oh! and what is the idealistic pot height for growing Venus Flytraps in order to maximize their growth?
By Cthulhu
All flytraps require the same care so it basically boils down to what you're looking for in a plant... if you're looking for large traps, the B52 produces among the largest.. it grows well and mine has been quite hardy. If you're looking for red, I own a Red Dragon (Akai Ryu) and it's quite lovely to look at but it's probably my least favorite in my collection.. It's a bit more needy under my growing conditions (both indoors under grow lights and outside).

Honestly, I would just pick the one/s that you like the best and go from there. :)

As for the care questions, you can find all the info to growing right here :)
Light and Venus Fly Traps
Water for Venus Fly Traps
Soil for Venus Fly Traps
Venus Fly Trap Dormancy
By LAKJP
I've finally decided to order for...
green-leafed : B-52, Sawtooth and Low Giant
red-leafed : Giant Red and Red Piranha TC Mutant

Apparently, Giant Red's traps rival those of B-52. And what are the differences between a Red Piranha and a Red Piranha TC Mutant?
By Starchy
I would recommend getting a Jaws and a FTS Crimson Sawtooth. I am currently growing both, and love them. The FTS Crimson Sawtooth isn't a giant, but it is a very vigorous grower. Both my plants are still young and have not reached full size.

Here are some pics of the two growing in my house:

Jaws

Jaws

FTS Crimson Sawtooth

FTS Crimson Sawtooth

During the summer, when the FTS Crimson Sawtooth is exposed to longer periods of direct sun, it will be a deep red. I got both these VFTs from Flytrapstore.com. Based on my experience, I think it would be worth the wait for them to have it in stock again. The FTS Crimson Sawtooth can only be purchased at the Flytrapstore.
Starchy liked this
By LAKJP
Thank you very much Starchy for your recommendations, but shipping tissue culture take months and I've already put an order with Keehn's Carnivores. Maybe next time. By the way, I'm new to this hobby, so I have to know first how to care for VFT before expanding my collection. ;)
By Cthulhu
Here's a shot of my B52 (this is a ruler with inches not cms).

I've got a Red Piranha & Maroon Monster coming to me from pieguy452 .. I don't have any of the others. I've found that they are like potato chips.. having one calls for two, having two calls for six... :lol:
By LAKJP
Wow! Your B52 has great coloration from what I've seen of B52's pictures. Hope mine will be able to do the same :)
1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae a[…]

VFT nice catch

Ah, that's a crane fly! Also called mosquito hawks[…]

Im not sure if May is open yet, if it is this is m[…]

Would I be allowed to request seeds for both April[…]

I have an indoor grow light setup I'd like to try […]

im not sure as the door isnt on yet (my dads makin[…]

SASE is airborne

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!