FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gungnire32x
Hi all, I'm curious about lighting for a small 3" pot. I'm not looking to get serious with growing since my living space is very limited so all the posts about T5 lamping don't help me out. Can I just use a regular desk lamp with a recommended bulb in it for my plant? This is my first time with a VFT and to say I'm excited about it is an understatement.

Thanks!
By Starchy
You need a higher powered bulb than it would come with.

Something like this
It is important that the bulb has 6500k, which places it in the cool color spectrum (blue, white). These mimic the sun around noon-time, which is what the VFTs need. I believe I heard in other posts that 42W are the recommended watts. I am not a vet at growing by any means, so please see what others say about this. Keep in mind, if you grow indoors, you will want about 16 hours on, and 8 hours off.
Starchy liked this
By Jaws
Youd be better off with a single tube 6500k and install it above the plants than those "devices" imo.
IE:- Aquarium starter with 6500k tube.
By Ae9803
Also consider distance, Even with any of those bulbs you would need to keep the lamp nearly on the plant. A even stronger lamp or light you wouldnt have to consider the distance as a factor as much :)

It is a possibility. However, you might do more h[…]

How long to acclimate

How did the root system look? If it was robust, it[…]

What kind of water are you using? How are you wate[…]

No lol, I was just hoping to get more than one res[…]

Tap water

I just tested my tap water and it is about 190-2[…]

I've now removed the ping, as it was losing its le[…]

Hello!

Nice catch, Chef!

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!