FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Chhewy
Hey guys,
So I was wondering if anyone has ever done a comparison growing plants under 54 watt T5 vs 32 watt T8 bulbs both with 6500k temperature? I've read that growing under T5 bulbs will result in healthier growth, and I've also read that the difference between the two is minimal. Also I understand that the difference in height is also a factor in how well the plants do. Let me know what you have experienced or seen. Thanks everyone.
By jamez
T5 has a smaller footprint because the bulbs are thin. The light is more focused. It will make your plants color up more. T5's should be about 14-16" away from the plants. T8's can get plants to color up well too, but T5 is better. T5 produced that DEEP blood red. T8's like 10-12" for best color.T12's like 4-6" for best color. If you can use mylar to reflect the light you can build a stand with a whole bunch of shelves if you use T12's because they can be really close to the plants. T5's with mylar will probably make the whole trap(inner and outer lobes) turn red and it will spread to the leaves as they get older.
jamez liked this

In general, they like to be kept very moist to v[…]

Nepenthes pictures!

Nep Photos! N. Sanguinea, N. Vivid Machine, Nepent[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

I have also noticed that feeding speeds things up,[…]

bog garden

you could go to Lowe's instead and get BetterGr[…]

What's Up

The owner of this forum and our gracious overseer […]

Should I just leave them be?

I have these Bohemian Garnet's and a yet to be id'[…]

U. bisquamata

Wow!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!