FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By MrE
Hey! I stumbled on this site when reading up on how to keep my birthday present alive. I'm a college student and sometime in the past couple months I mentioned to my girlfriend how I always thought venus fly traps were so cool and I've always wanted to get one. Lo and behold, I got one for my birthday!

After nearly killing it no matter how much I kept it moist and in bright sunlight (the leaves turned black and some traps did as well) I did research on how to care for it properly and am in the process of bringing the poor thing back to life. (Apparently bottled water isnt the same thing as distilled water). I never realized there were so many different varieties and currently I'm itching to get my hands on some other varieties (currently the Big Mouth and Wacky have caught my eye) during the summer when there might be some sales =)
By MrE
I'm also a bit interested in trying to ...geminate (is that the word?) from seeds, since this might be a cheaper alternative. From what I've read it seems like you cannot get the same varieties to grow from the seeds? Is this true?
By Matt
Welcome to FlytrapCare! Congrats on the newly acquired flytrap. What a great GF you have :)
MrE wrote:From what I've read it seems like you cannot get the same varieties to grow from the seeds? Is this true?
It's true that flytraps grown from seeds won't normally have the same characteristics as the parent plant and, even if they do, they should not be considered the same variety because they're genetically unique.
By Veronis
Welcome :)

If you were using bottled water for weeks/months, you might consider repotting it. Flytrap-poisonous mineral build up may take a while to wash away.

What kind of soil are you using?

As far as germinating from seed, it's a sloooow process (flytraps take 4-5 years to mature from seed) and may not be the best for a beginner, but you will do fine as long as you're prepared.

Here's the info you'll need: http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation- ... traps.html

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!