FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By JaF
Hello to everyone on the flytrap care forums!
I've always thought the venus flytrap was very intriguing and have had them in the past but never really had any luck with them, probably because I had NO idea how to take care of them. But I've recently decided to try again and researched my butt off reading through this forum (which is great by the way :D) and figured I was ready. So I ordered a maroon monster from the FTS and decided to join the forums after receiving an absolutely gorgeous plant (thanks Matt!) so now I'm extremely determined to keep my new VFT alive and thriving. Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

PS. I live in Northern California where it doesn't get too hot for most of the year (rarely topping more than 70 degrees typically and not more that 90 degrees on a really hot day, we get some bright sun though) i know VFTs prefer warmer climates, but would our weather here be sufficient for growing a flytrap outside or would it be better to get an artificial light source?
By Matt
Hello and welcome to the forums JaF!
JaF wrote:So I ordered a maroon monster from the FTS
Nice! That's a great flytrap!
JaF wrote:would our weather here be sufficient for growing a flytrap outside or would it be better to get an artificial light source?
Your weather is sufficient for growing flytraps outside year round. They might grow a bit better under warmer conditions, but they certainly will grow fine where you live. Robert Ziemer lives in McKinleyville, CA and grows lots of flytraps outside year round.
By pieguy452
Welcome to flytrapcare, JaF!

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!