FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By 0rmus
Hey All,

I've been reading up about divisions and i'm pretty sure some of my plants have them but i'm still a newbie to all this so i would appreciate it if you could take a look at my pics and tell me what you see.

Thanks

/0rmus
By Veronis
I see a few natural divisions. Those smaller traps that are kind of "on the side" are divisions creating new plants. They are not likely ready to be separated yet, however.

Next time you repot you can carefully pull apart the rhizome, provided all divisions have their own root system already established. Until a divided rhizome has its own separate root system, leave them as they are.

Here's an example of a good-sized rhizome that has not divided, but is working on it - you could divide this and get roots on both rhizomes, but I would not recommend it at this stage as it will require damaging both rhizomes too much since they have not yet "divided" naturally:

Here are examples of rhizomes that have divided. You can clearly see the separation in the rhizome and that both have an established root system. These can be pulled apart by hand. Best time to do so is in Spring while they are still dormant.

One division, pretty much can be split right down the middle if desired.

Several divisions here.
Veronis, Veronis, Veronis liked this
By Daniel_G
I went from one flytrap to five in one year, however the wind and a pond can take lives quickly...

Good luck getting some divisions!
Daniel_G liked this
By stitz25b
there are a few divisions but dont divied for some time as the plants ay be quite weak and may not survive
stitz25b liked this
By 0rmus
Thanks for the advice everyone. I intend on repotting soon as i have new plants coming and i want to plant them together. Also roots are coming out of the draining holes. The plants way of saying ''get me a bigger pot''. I'll see how it goes with the divisions. If they don't all make it i'll put it down to darwin... I have limited space under my light and my collection far from complete, its survival of the fittest :D
Question on soil

I'm definitely questioning too. It's especially […]

Tap water

If your plant is about to go dry and you have no w[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

The address controversy has been with the USPS bef[…]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certif[…]

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Plant Mail

Let’s make these plants look their best ;)

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!