FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Kbud
I am thinking of trying to asexually reproduce my D. Capensis. Any tips? Should I put it in water soil, or something else and is a dying but still green leaf okay? where should I cut it at? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I am not wasting leaves :oops: My plant is the typical version and I might put up the young plants for trading :D
By Jaws
Just cut off some leaves and lay flat on the peat, use a bit of peat to hold the leaf down , youll soon get small new plants coming off from the main leaf.
Or if you cut small pieces of root and plant them slightly below the compost, this will produce new plants.

The above will work with most sundews.
Jaws liked this
By Jaws
The leaves lay flat, and what i do is poke the ends of the leaf in the compost and put a small amount along the leaf so all the leaf touches the compost.
You could just poke a leaf in the compost, but laying it flat on the compost gets you more plants.

As for the roots if you plant upright below the compost you will generally get less new plants but stronger from the start, if you plant the root bits below the compost flat you will get more plants but each one wont be as strong initially. (will become stronger as they grow though)
Jaws liked this
By Darkrai283
Kbud wrote:Do they just float in the water?
Yep. Thats it.
Place them under lights like you would do with any plant and you should get plantlets forming on the leaf in about 2-4 weeks time. Once the plantlets get a little established, bury the leaf in peat with the plantlets poking out of the soil. :)
Darkrai283 liked this
By Jaws
Ive done exceptionally well with just planting leaves though directly in compost, so ive never bothered with just water.
Jaws liked this
Feeding fish food to CP’s?

Alright, I’ll found a recipe for CP food onl[…]

Hello!

I strongly suggest that, if he even comes back, do[…]

Question on soil

Non-ideal substrates can work out okay, particular[…]

jetfire245's Grow List

Grow list: Dionaea muscipula: SD Kronos King […]

Tap water

If your plant is about to go dry and you have no w[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

The address controversy has been with the USPS bef[…]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certif[…]

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!