FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By RL7836
I've had a note on my 'ToDo' list for a long time to take some updated pics of my 2 N. hamata plants - since they've been producing full-size lower pitchers for a while. The overall pics are a bit tough to see because each plant is in a 10 gal community tank. For the 1st one - that's a 'sort-of' since I'm tearing that tank down and moving the remnants to a larger unit (finally).

Here's the 1st plant (the D. adelae should provide some perspective)(the moss-covered brick on the left formerly had pots of D. ascendens perched on it)(extra points go to the eagle-eyed person who can spot a U. longifolia leaf - telling me that i cannot eradicate it from this tank) :evil: :x

Here's some of the individual pitchers - sharing some space with D. adelae (sharp-eyed people may recognize the pitcher on the right as the one which received a wasp for dinner one night ...) :-O

Tilt-back lid...

Cozy...

.... another...

Dark pitcher w/ deformed mouth & little lid...

The 2nd plant in another 10 gal tank. Sadly, I've never gotten around to transplanting this one to a larger pot. Somewhere under all of those pitchers, there is a 2.5" pot (the one above was transplanted into a 6" pot a long time ago).
Some of the other occupants: 8:30 - U. humboldtii, 10:00 D. prolifera, 11:00 - D. ascendens, Serra de Ponta Grossa, Parana State, Brazil, 1:00 D. graomogolensis, Itacambira, Minas Gerais, Brazil, ~6:00 - wispy pieces are from D. filiformis 'all red', Washington County, FL.

More & more teeth .... :-D

For anyone interested in the progression from small rootless plants received from Wistuba to the plants shown - this thread.
RL7836, RL7836, RL7836 liked this
By snapperhead51
great shots there love these plants , what is you temps lighting and humidity there , or how do you go getting these to do so well, tell us your experiences with these plants please
thanks
john
By Steve_D
Very neat photos and beautiful plants, Ron. Thanks for posting them! :)
By floridadancerguy
That's great! Such cool plants. Love the close-ups of the teeth....scary! What are your growing conditions?
By sekler
I freaking love the n. Hamata! Awesome and aggressive looking plant! Tell us your growing tips please: )
By RL7836
Thanks for all of the kind comments .... ;)

Most of the the questions have probably been answered in the link at the bottom of the 1st post (w/ other pics) but for a quick version:
- the plants are each in 10 gal tanks (with many other potted plants) with a bed of live LFS lining the tank bottom
- one lives on the floor of my office and sees something close to lowland temps in summer & intermediate temps in winter.
- the other is in my basement and sees intermediate temps all year - but low end in winter.
- each tank is covered with glass & has ~1" open at either end.
- one tank has a shoplight fixture & the other has a 35 watt power compact fluorescent with mirror reflector (from AH Supply)

I expected that I would need to relocate my office plant to the basement come summer but it never flinched. It kept growing & producing pitchers all summer (unlike jamban & aristo - even in the basement). I'm not sure why others have had issues growing N. hamata - mine have been weeds - even when I abused them. One of my friends, Steve (elgecko), grows his in front of a large window in his kitchen where it is a weed.

The teeth continue to amaze me even after 2 years. The plants are widely available & cheap (from Wistuba) - I'm surprised that everyone doesn't have one .... :shock:
By snapperhead51
Hi that's amazing u can grow them in those conditions ,as u may know its a high land plant and dose not grow in any low land conditions in the wild , so well done on your confused plants ha ha ah , , some times plants just love that climate its provided and others some where else it just will not grow no matter what you do !!, , , you would think if you gave the plant exactly what it want it would go nuts , but it seems not so ?? ok hamata abuse coming your way !!
J
By corky
great plants and great pics thanks for sharing
By stitz25b
nice nep
i really like the adelaes and proliferas in the background

Sase received, Thank You Chef !

MikeB's grow list

Sarracenia x moorei 'Bud Wilkerson' (seller's pics[…]

Hello!

I mean, come on man. Does no one at least put a […]

Question on soil

I spent the last of this week's money on my new […]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240518/41dcda3[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1678. I'll PM[…]

It's fine just make sure the light doesn't generat[…]

SASE arrived safe and sound. Thank you. Sent fro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!