FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By chriscanivorous
Hi i just got darlintonia seeds, a freebee off Jimsplants after a order i made. I'm very pleased with the plants i received but not really clued up on germinating the seeds.

Do they need stratification?
Do I keep them humid?

I'm currently germinating vfts and they germinated in about a week and a half in a terrarium with lights,
can i put the darlingtonia seeds straght in with the vft seeds?

please help

thanks

Chris
By Shes Crofty
You do not need stratification but it is my understanding that if you don't, the seed sprouting will be more sporadic. (I have never stratified so I couldn't tell you the difference)

Darlingtonia will cook very easily, so you should keep them cool, moist and make sure they get a lot of light.

I keep my seedlings outside because I am lucky enough to have pretty tame summers. I put ice cubes over the media of my Darlingtonia seedling pot to keep them from overheating. I lost quite a few seedlings on a really hot day (almost 90F outside) when I was out, I was sad.
Shes Crofty liked this
By chriscanivorous
Thanks Shes Crofty,

Iv done some research, I read that they should have a 4 week strat. i wrapped them in paper towel sprayed with rain water then put in a ziplock bag in the fridge for 4 weeks. I may even wait untill spring comes as its just turned autumn here in the uk.

What you think?
By Daniel_G
I'm not surprised you got a freebie from James, he's very generous with his stuff.
Your method sounds ok.
You could even leave them outside for startification, -16 may be a tad harsh tho' :lol:

Just make sure they don't rot in the fridge, or it'll be for nothing.

Good luck with your Cobra seeds!
By JimsPlants
The seeds are about 1 week old so should all germinate without stratification if kept inside and warm, getting a bit too cold outside now. 4 weeks in the fridge and then somewhere warm will also work.

I find they germinate what ever i do, i had one year old seeds that germinated with no stratification, maybe try half of each and see which is quicker.
By David F
My seeds that I initialy thought were around 30% germination (from fts) is actually around 80%, I didn't stratify them, but you will notice some sprout up very late. good luck :)
Hello again from Florida

Welcome back https://media.tenor.com/images/5e88a[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Weird Pitchers, advice?

I'm concerned about all my plants and wondering if[…]

Anything that requires a dormancy, dry rest, or de[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

I have a many cape sundew varieties, about 6 pingu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!