FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
All of my flytrap seeds are dying! they are in the stage where they are just one little leaf, but they are starting to look a little yellow or sluggish green! this all happened after a full day of direct sunlight, but after that, they were in the shade. is there any way to save them? I don't want to kill 80 little seeds :(
Last edited by pieguy452 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nats
I dont understand, you mean you have new sprouts turning yellow?
How long ago did you first notice the sprouts?
By pieguy452
about a week. they are now turning yellowish or looking sluggish
By emanuel01
first what kind water do u give them- how much sun do they get- and what soil are they in?

and could u post some pictures?
By pieguy452
its too late. they have all died :cry:

looks like ill take better care of them if i get more :cry:

i would very much like to know when to give them direct sunlight. is it when the seed makes one little leaf?
By Dubstep13
u gotta acclimate them! u cant just leave a seedling in the sun. it will literally singe the plan. it doesnt sprout hardened off. u need to give indirect sun for the first few weeks the like ten mins a day of sun and work your way up to an hour
By markus13
Well Pieguy, my seeds that I planted this spring (late april/early may) from the 2010 FTS seed mix are doing great. I gave them as much sunlight as I could as soon as they sprouted, but it was through the glass of a window and waited to give them raw outdoor sunlight until they all had at least 4 functioning traps. When I first put them outside it was for a max of 2 hrs in the a.m. and then I put them back in a sunny window for the rest of the day. I started the first week with them outside from 8 a.m. until 10 a.m. and extended the time by an hour each week after until they were outside from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. After that I just left them out all the time, unless strong storms were expected in the area. Hope this helps!
By markus13
pieguy452 wrote:so you gave them a full day of sunlight through a window right when they sprouted?
You bet! Windows filter out most of the UV rays that cause sunburn, but not the rays that are used to photosynthesize, so I let them get as much of that sunlight as possible until I thought they were big enough to take a little abuse from the outdoor sun. Just remember that they aren't hardened off to direct sunlight until you slowly acclimate them outside like I did. ;)
markus13 liked this
By pieguy452
Thank you! i wont give up on growing seeds yet. im going to get more and make sure these ones stay healthy now that i know not to put them outside right away!
By markus13
pieguy452 wrote:Thank you! i wont give up on growing seeds yet. im going to get more and make sure these ones stay healthy now that i know not to put them outside right away!
I almost forgot to tell you that when putting the sprouts in direct sunlight that's filtered through a window make sure that the pot(s) don't have a humidity dome or plastic wrap over them. Unless you want to cook them. I also used the tray watering method to keep them quite moist during germination.
How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

For more information about characteristics, you wo[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!