FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By David F
My pink venus are doing less than great, but I have them inside air conditioned and I only let them have a tiny bit of direct sun outside everyday. But they do have new growth (even if the traps are much smaller than the old growth)
By Shes Crofty
I think the Maroon Monster may be extra sensitive to sun? My 3 stay on the lower shelf in my mini greenhouse because I noticed it burned easily on the upper shelf with my other VFT. It's doing great now though.

I keep coming back to this thread hoping dantt99 will say he sees tons of new leaves starting to pop up. I care about all my plants ALOT so I can only imagine how much this sucks! :(
By DTDream18
Nats wrote ...I have always had trouble with MM's right after a few weeks of potting. So much that
I do not want to buy another one. They looked great when I got them, then after a few weeks on the windowsill (keeping very moist), the leaves start turning blank until nearly all the leaves are dead.
I'm glad I spotted this post. I was just getting ready to order a Maroon Monster, but now I'm thinking twice. If Daniel and Nats are having a hard time with them I'm a little leery. These guys certainly seem like experienced growers. On the other hand maybe I will try my hand at one. All my other plants are doing great.
By Shes Crofty
DTDream18 wrote: I'm glad I spotted this post. I was just getting ready to order a Maroon Monster, but now I'm thinking twice. If Daniel and Nats are having a hard time with them I'm a little leery. These guys certainly seem like experienced growers. On the other hand maybe I will try my hand at one. All my other plants are doing great.
I have ordered 3 and never had a problem. I gave one away as a gift as well, they have had no problems with it either.
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the Maroon Monster. I do think they are easily burned though.
By jht-union
I have a MM, and is doing great, growing more and more. I don't think is a problem from the plant, i think is a problem not from daniel nor from Nats, but the climate is having a great impact on them, among other factors.

I would say DTDream18, go for one and don't wait to get one before they run out of stock.

Good luck! :)
jht-union liked this
By Dubstep13
i have 5 MMs and i got it in a bundle bargain buy... its been 2 weeks now since they were potted and they aare doing just fine. outside though and ill be keeping a close eye just in case
By DTDream18
I would say DTDream18, go for one and don't wait to get one before they run out of stock.
OK ... I just ordered a Maroon Monster. I chose a young adult plant. I've always wanted one. I'm going to plant it in a large pot with some of my B52's. But this plant is strictly for my indoor collection. To be grown under under artificial LED grow lighting.

I'm curious to see what all the shouting is about with this cultivar ?
By Matt
DTDream18 wrote:I'm curious to see what all the shouting is about with this cultivar ?
Packed it up and shipped it today DTDream18. It barely fit under the protective dome for shipping plants potted. It's not full size by any means, but I think it's still an impressive flytrap. I hope you do too :)
By Nats
I would recommend that you use Maxsea 16-16-16 on them (see my post in the fretilizer section "Maxsea and FT's" thread)
I have been using it for my sick plants and it has perked them up to health.
But you need to give it time to work, it's slow before you see any improvement.
Let me give you the directions how to use it:

Mix like it says on the package (1 tbls per gallon of water), now, dilute a portion of that x4 with distilled water.

Use a measuring tablespoon and pour 2 tbls's per plant directly in the middle of the plant.

Do this every day at sundown or on a cloudy day. Should not fertilize a plant that is in the hot sun.

Do this every day. You will not see any difference for several days, then suddenly, you should see new healthy growth
poping up.
Of course, this will only work if your rhyisome is still healthy enough to respond to it.

This stuff has saved my MM and a few others from certain death and at this stage, it cant hurt anything and it will not
do any harm to them. It is all natural stuff, no additives.

This is what Conner's uses on his plants and he is the one who gave me the mixing procedure, but he used a mister to spray
it on the leaves. I tried that for weeks, no results at all, that's when I decided to just pour the stuff right on the plants, then
I got results!!

Just try it ;)

P.S. IMPORTANT note: It HAS to be Maxsea 16-16-16 formula, nothing else!!
By Gothic TRAPS
Hey dantt99.

I feel for your 'Maroon Monster', I really do. The way that thing died back on you is very much of how most of my VFTs in my recently disbanded bog bowl were starting to look like. I had to go to back to bare basics of growing VFTs in their pots...the works. Much to what Matt has previously mentioned in keeping VFTs in that state a little more wetter than moist and in a shadier location. I have mine growing in my greenhouse nearly full-time (with occassional misting) where I can keep the humidity a little higher than the tradional outdoor growing in full sun and bring them out during cloudy to high cloudy days and let light rain showers naturally water them from above. I don't let it get drenched in fear of root rott. So far in my current experience, it's been all coming together slowly. Baby new shoots are starting to develop on a few of them already, thus making me VERY HAPPY. My 'Cup Trap' was at deaths door and now I see that speck of green emerging from one side. Well, enough of my story. I noticed there's a new shoot developing on that 'Maroon Monster' which indicates it's not down for the count...yet! I believe a more humid environment with filtered sun (or artificial lighting) is what it needs in its road to recovery.

Good luck, my man. Your 'Maroon Monster' will be back ;)!
By Nats
DTDream18 wrote:
Nats wrote ...I have always had trouble with MM's right after a few weeks of potting. So much that
I do not want to buy another one. They looked great when I got them, then after a few weeks on the windowsill (keeping very moist), the leaves start turning blank until nearly all the leaves are dead.
I'm glad I spotted this post. I was just getting ready to order a Maroon Monster, but now I'm thinking twice. If Daniel and Nats are having a hard time with them I'm a little leery. These guys certainly seem like experienced growers. On the other hand maybe I will try my hand at one. All my other plants are doing great.

No, go ahead and get one, just be very carefull and acclimate it very slowly.
Even when you think it's acclimated, never leave it in the hot sun.
I would say this is strictly a windowsill, shade plant!! NOT a sun lover. LOL!!

If you do get one, just leave it on a windowsill forever!! maybe put it outside on cloudy days to catch bugs
and that's all!!!
Last edited by Nats on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nats
Dubstep13 wrote:that is and interesting fix u got there Nats! can u get maxsea at lowes?

Unknown, I got mine from some garden web store !

I wish I had the mind to take before and after pics, but I was too upset about the whole thing!!!
By cnf276
I bought a Maroon Monster about a month ago from FTS and it didn't grow at all for about 3 weeks and some of the leaves died. After the 3 weeks it started to grow like crazy with about 5 new traps now. Probably just needs a little more time.
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!