FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By zen
can anyone tell me how long vft seed stay viable after harvesting until they become completely nonviable and is it the same for most or all other cp seed? thanks
By HarrisAz
im not sure about VFT seeds.

but if its kept dry and in the fridge,it should last a few months.

To my experience,Drosera seeds is the once which will have its viability for a long time.

I got almost 90%germination on capensis though been harvested 5months before i sow.
90%++ germination rate on a 3month old Drosera burmannii seed which is not kept the fridge.it was just in a bag and stored in my drawer.

but Nepenthes is one seed that looses viability fairly fast especialy if the conditions dont fit with it.

Harris
By Matt
Dionaea seeds can retain good viability for over a year if stored in a cool, dry place. After 1 year, Steve sowed some of the FlytrapStore seed and still got over 75% germination, if I recall correctly.

Other CP seed varies quite a bit from species to species. Some will keep a very long time. Others, such as Nepenthes like Harris mention, have a very short life span.
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:Steve sowed some of the FlytrapStore seed and still got over 75% germination, if I recall correctly
Yes, that's right. Even after a year in refrigerated storage, in a paper envelope inside a plastic bag pressed flat to remove air before sealing, the germination rate for Dionaea muscipula seed is often 70% or more, the lowest germination rate I've seen at 60% or so, which is still fine.
By Dionae
I bought some seed from FTS a couple months ago and i think Matt told me they were harvested last season, correct me if i'm mistaken. I put them in vitro and I see 4 or 5 out of about 60 that didn't germinate.
By HarrisAz
You can always trust the FTS seeds ;)
By zen
i read something somwhere on the internet that said vft seed can last up to 2 yrs but was kindve skeptical. thanks for the input though i guess i can try storing them for atleast 1.5 yrs or so and see how that goes.

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!