FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By thatonechick371
I just got these guys a few days ago. I lightly placed them into a shallow hole i made with my finger and gently tried to cover the roots a bit. The growing medium is sand, some peat moss and perlite. The leaves may have got wet a bit, and maybe thats why they are dying? They looked great when i got them, but in my care they just dont seem happy. Im new to pings and im worried these guys wont make it. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Update: this is what they look like 6 days later.

Last edited by thatonechick371 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hungry Plants
Place them in a ziplock bag with some rain/distilled water at the bottom for a week or two. Open the bag little by little over a week or so after that till they get used to you conditions. They should be left in a tray of water after that. hope this helps
By thatonechick371
They are mexican pings, does that matter? I thought they didnt like being in high humidity/having their leaves wet?

By KategoricalKarnivore
They don't like the higher humidity but it will help with transplant/shipping stress. It's normal for a few leaves to turn brown and die after shipping. I usually put them in my terrarium with 90+ humidity for a week or so until I notice good new groth coming out of the center. Then they go on my grow rack at household humidity.
By slinx
I don't know about the one at the bottom of the picture, but the others' growing tips look just fine to me, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. My experiences are in line with what KategoricalKarnivore wrote, that a few or even most leaves don't survive the combination of shipping and a new environment, but the new leaves come out fine. In fact this is what it's like for most plants: the old leaves that are used to a certain condition die off, but the new growth will quickly adapt to the new conditions. It's just more noticeable with Pinguicula because they don't have a lot of leaves.
By Benurmanii
If they are Mexican Pings, you just need to wait for new growth. When shipped in carnivorous mode, they can look fairly ratty due to leaves/roots drying out. Just give them some top watering and a few weeks of patience.
By thatonechick371
Thank you. This is them more recently. I made some changes to substrate and watering and they seem to be okay. Just waiting on new growth. Image

Does anyone have multiple H. sarracenioides clones[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dor[…]

Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!