FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So in order to keep my seeds that I plan to germinate in my greenhouse with all my plants. I think I unfortunately may have overheated my first batch that was staring to germinate. :cry: :cry: So, I purchased this Grow Tent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW61LRM?re ... tails&th=1
and a 3 shelf rack to use for my seeds, seedlings, and juvenile plants. I know when germinating seeds they need a high level of humidity so people usually place them inside bags. My question is, when using a grow tent is it still necessary to cover the seeds?
By Intheswamp
Some people don't cover them. I usually do. But, I've got some volunteer seedlings coming up in pots containing other plants that have been outside in the heat and sun...but, they've been constantly moist. I'm slowly learning that these plants have survived in the wild with no humidity dome, etc., over them for thousands of years. ;) I feel that a humid environment is indeed necessary, but maybe not as humid as we envision. I'm thinking that if planted in a container with high sides to it that their will be a miniature humid environment right above the soil surface. I don't think it's evenwind who never covers his germinating seeds and has good results. I would think that inside the tent and as long as you keep the grow mix moist that you'll be fine without covering them. Your call, though. :)
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
I think what I will do is try some seeds both ways to see the results. That way, if there is an issue I will not lose them all. I know in my greenhouse the humidity gets up to about 95% at times so I am expecting the grow tent to be similar.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Andy, I mentioned the seedlings that germinated in the sun with no covering. I snapped this shot yesterday or the day before. That's an intermedia and a capillaris...who knows which seedlings is which at this point, though some are beginning to tell. As long as they have a good moist mix to lay on, are not allowed to dry out, have a bit of humidity, and get plenty of light...they'll grow.
IMG_0341a (Custom).JPG
IMG_0341a (Custom).JPG (845.12 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
andynorth liked this
Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Catching the Nep fever

I have some seed grown neps if you are intersted. […]

You can try it. You don't want it in the window si[…]

Results of self pollinating?

Seeds, gray area. Plants, if shipping across state[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!