FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By rwharold
Does any one have photos of "starter sized" DC XLs? If it was grown on a sunny west facing window sill, about how long would it take to reach "full mature size"? :D
By katya_dog1
Sunny west windowsill? I don't think so. That's not enough light, not to mention dormancy concerns. I'll go ahead and say again that it is better to grow your VFTs outside. Growing them outside takes 95% of the effort out of keeping VFTS.

I'm not sure it would even be possible to grow a VFT to maturity on a west windowsill, at least not in the northern hemisphere.
katya_dog1 liked this
By SEWinans
This was mine when I got it.

I think it was classified as "young" so I suppose a starter would be a little smaller.

I have been extremely satisfied with all of the starter plants I have received from FTS.

I would highly recommend growing your new dionaea outdoors.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (233.53 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
SEWinans liked this
By rwharold
katya_dog1 wrote:Sunny west windowsill? I don't think so. That's not enough light, not to mention dormancy concerns. I'll go ahead and say again that it is better to grow your VFTs outside. Growing them outside takes 95% of the effort out of keeping VFTS.

I'm not sure it would even be possible to grow a VFT to maturity on a west windowsill, at least not in the northern hemisphere.
I could very well be wrong about the direction as I don't have a compass. All I know is that from about 11 AM to about 5 PM, my window sill receives DIRECT full, very bright, sunshine. I have grown 1 VFT there now for over a year, and it has almost tripled in size. I am considering adding the DC XL VFT starter plant to my collection. I have searched but I can't seem to find an actual photo of what a starter sized DC XL looks like. Can you guide me to a good source?
By katya_dog1
Ask Matt. He can probably give you a picture.

If the windowsill is the only sunlight you get, even in your yard, that may be okay. But if you have sun in your yard, it'll be happier out there.
By Ishaha
Defiantly just grow them outside, I know you may think that they are doing fine but window sunlight isnt DIRECT sunlight. Its filtered, and outside they get bugs and air flow.
By Anymal911
When I first got it (7/27/15)
About a month ago
This last month it has grown to the point that it has no space to grow; it has to grow higher every time it makes a new trap! It really feels like it is a weed in slow motion. I can show you when I get back home on Monday if you want.
By Anymal911
Wow, that is amazing coloration... I have had mine outside in at least four hours of direct morning sun everyday for well over a month now, and they are mostly green...
By SFLguy
Anymal911 wrote:Wow, that is amazing coloration... I have had mine outside in at least four hours of direct morning sun everyday for well over a month now, and they are mostly green...
Right now mine are fairly green as well but earlier in the year and in winter they get much redder
How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

For more information about characteristics, you wo[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!