FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Wikiwakawakawee
So I live in the barracks with VERY limited space, but I've managed grow some plants. I had to make little shelves out of rulers and foam to get my plants closer to the window.

Hopefully I can inspire some of you with limited space to grow some plants.

First up is my largest nepenthes that's been growing great!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
Hmmm never thought of making makeshift windowsill type things! Might have to try it because my house has tiny windowsills that aren't large enough to even hold a cup. Very creative, and I hope all goes well for your plants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frothy_Milk liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
Frothy_Milk wrote:Hmmm never thought of making makeshift windowsill type things! Might have to try it because my house has tiny windowsills that aren't large enough to even hold a cup. Very creative, and I hope all goes well for your plants!

Thanks! The first one I made was with a clipboard and rulers but that one fell and shattered after about 1 month, so I made smaller ones so they could be supported closer to the wall and they came out pretty sturdy!

By Wikiwakawakawee
Here are the shelves that I made. They're not very aesthetically pleasing, but I had to work with what I had available.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

By Wikiwakawakawee
A word of advice...you guys can probably make much better shelves that what I made. The reason I used these materials is because we can't drill into the walls (they're filled with asbestos) so I had to use 5lb command strips to stick them to the wall and light materials like the foam and rulers.

If you do make your own little makeshift shelves, be sure to not make them stick out so much, have them be as "short" as possible, what I mean by that is make them as close to the wall as you can because I made this mistake the first time around and it shattered one of my utricularia glass bowls when it fell.

By Wikiwakawakawee
I found a picture of the first one I made. So after a while, it started leaning forward from the weight that was on it, and it eventually just fell.

So try to keep them short, (like barely the width of the pot you're going to be placing on top.)

You can of course place more weight and make them larger if you are capable of actually mounting shelves properly with screws to the wall.ImageImage

By Wikiwakawakawee
amriko wrote:That's ingenious, you don't have to make any measurements! By the way, what nepenthes is that?
It's a poi dog from Native exotics, not sure on the parentage but I do like it a lot!

By Wikiwakawakawee
Here are all the containers that have my Utricularia Sandersonnii. I have two of those jars with live sphagnum and U. Sandersonnii, and they're spreading out nicely!

Everyone seems to like the "Moonshine" jug the most for some reason (it's my least favorite haha), but I just threw some mosses in there along with more Utricularia and let it all grow naturally in there.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

By Wikiwakawakawee
Here's my vivarium with a couple CPs in there. I got a N. Ampullaria x Talangensis, D. Burmannii, D. Spatulata, some unknown drosera and a P. Primuliflora. Oh and some more U. Sandersonnii in a monkey pod.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

By tannerm
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Here are all the containers that have my Utricularia Sandersonnii. I have two of those jars with live sphagnum and U. Sandersonnii, and they're spreading out nicely!

Everyone seems to like the "Moonshine" jug the most for some reason (it's my least favorite haha), but I just threw some mosses in there along with more Utricularia and let it all grow naturally in there.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

That top pic is lovely! Did you just start out with one U. Sandersonnii?

tannerm liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!