FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MPHampel86
Two new acquisitions:

Drosera capillaris -

Drosera rotundifolia -

These plants were ordered Saturday 01/14 and arrived today 01/20. Not too bad of shape, they'll do well with some light and care.

Now, the dreaded question -
I see a lot of debate over the water tray method on these guys. These are my first Sundews, I've been growing Flytraps and Sarracenia with success. The Flytraps I bottom water often enough to never allow the substrate to dry out. The Sarracenia, I sit in a water tray with 1" - 2" of water and they seem to love it. Now, as far as Sundews, I see people saying not to allow them to sit in water and I see others saying they sit them in a water tray all of the time as they like it quite wet. I know they like things wetter in the summer and only moist during dormancy. But as for growing - sit in water or no? I'd like input.
By erikHIplants
Personally I've grown my sundews sitting in about 1-2 inches of water. No issues so far. All seem to be thriving. Everyone has their preference though. I'll do a top water flood every other week or so.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I keep my d. capillaris sitting in an inch or so of water at all times. They are doing great.
Attachments:
IMG_3032.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG (837.97 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
By MPHampel86
Thanks for the replies, guys.
nimbulan wrote:There are very few sundew species that don't like being kept in a water tray. I wouldn't say there's any debate about it.
Apparently not so much when you interact with actual people on these forums. Based on a lot of viewing of YouTube, the care requirement guidelines can be quite polarizing to what I'm told on the forum. That's why I'm glad to have it, I'd trust your experience and the ability to have a conversation more.
By SFLguy
Tray watering works for some and not for others, it depends on your conditions and the plant's previous conditions
By Chingz
I have 2 capillaries.
They love high water level in my area...
Full sun, full LFSM.
They kept flowering.
And I kept cutting the stalks.
My binata doesnt like high water level tho.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!