FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Purplegigget_76
Hi I am new to growing flytraps. I bought this one at a local walmart. It is in the plastic pot it came in and is in what looks to be a mix of peatmoss and sphagnum. When I first got it I made the mistake of over feeding it. It also dryed out for about a day. It has been an indoor plant. I do not think it was getting enough sun. My "traps" are turning black before they really even get to look like traps. But I have perfectly healthy looking smaller new traps. I am not sure how to get my pics loaded here or I would show a pic. I'm using my IPhone for this. Any suggestions? Please.
By thatonechick371
Id move it outside and give it some full sun. Is it sitting in water? Tge soil should be moist but not wet. Are you watering with distilled water?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thatonechick371 liked this
By Purplegigget_76
Yes I am using distilled water. It is not sitting in water now because it is back inside and the "soil" is very moist. I just put in full sun today and it received plenty of sun and fresh rain water.
Thnk you in advance for any help.
By thatonechick371
From what ive seen, its bad to move it inside and back outside because of the quick temperature and humidity change. I would leave it outside, maybe partially shade it until the leaves stop dying and let it dry out just a bit before you water it again.

By Purplegigget_76
Thanks. That does make since. I moved it back in last night because we had severe thunderstorms. I will have to find a safe place to move it when this occurs. My only other concern is the fact that it is so small, I am concerned it will dry out during the day while I am at work. I have seen suggestions to leave it in a container with about an inch or so of water. I live in southeastern va so our climate is very similar to nc. Hot and humid during summer, scorching sun and little to no shade in my yard.
By thatonechick371
Yeah you can put a little water in a dish and set it in there before you leave for work. When you get home, take it out and let it dry out a bit overnight. If it isnt already, maybe think about repotting it into a pot thats 6 inches tall, that way it wont dry out as fast.

By Purplegigget_76
I will do that. Does it matter how wide? I know some other plants don't like to be potted in too big a pot. Thanks so much for the help. :)
By twitterglitter
It shouldn't matter on width. Height is the main focus since fly traps have long roots. I use 20 ounce Styrofoam cups.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
twitterglitter liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!