FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hefty_hefty
I live in San Diego and keep my plants by the window. My nepenthes has turned darker and the middle leaf is shriveled. There is browning on some spots and one pitcher dried up. The other developing pitcher is still very green. I keep in in a mix of peat and sand. Is there anybody that has had this experience with their pitchers? Did your plant survive? If it lived what did you change to save it. Thanks in advance!ImageImage
By SFLguy
roarke wrote:I have a twin brother. Sometimes, we think and act the same. But you water, temperature, i cannot know.
In other words, what kind of water are you using (tap, distilled, etc.) And what's the temperature where it's being grown?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
By SFLguy
Also what kind of light does it get (sun or artificial) and how much of it?

By hefty_hefty
I was previously watering with water that had minerals in it. Once I found out I repotted and changed water. I attached a picture of the purification process for the new water I'm using. The temperature here is around the 70'sF. It gets sunlight from the window around 6 hours a day.
By SFLguy
Well first, since you were using water with minerals it probably built up in the soil and is burning the roots I don't see any purification system in the pictures :/

By hefty_hefty
By SFLguy
Reverse osmosis is great, however different reverse osmosis filters will filter only a certain size of minerals so their reverse osmosis water could allow too much nutrients too pass through and make the water unusable for CPs (they need less than 100 ppm), also on their website they say "very small amounts of high quality grade minerals are added." So idk if that water is a good idea :/

Last edited by SFLguy on Mon May 05, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SFLguy
Personally, I'd suggest repotting your plant whenever possible and switching to a safer water, but I'd also wait to see if any one else comments on this to see what they'd do just in case I've forgotten something

By MNCarnivores216
The rest of the plant looks good and all, you should go to a large grocery store(Walmart, Cubfoods, etc.) and buy some distilled water, it doesn't mater what brand it is. It only cost one dollar or less per gallon, or just be lazy like I am, collect rain water and use that instead. I have all of my nepenthes outside right now and I just let rain and the sun help it do it's thing.

Hope this helps
By hefty_hefty
I want to thank SFLguy and MNCarnivores216 for the advice. I switched water again, this time making sure it is distilled and my plant is already showing signs of improvement. Image
A new leaf is emerging from within the darkened leaf. Thank you guys so much!
By SFLguy
Thanks for the update! And I'm glad your plant is recovering :)

1637 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

May bonus

For May, it's going to be a carbon copy of April, […]

Flower stalks for sale

Updated list.

Anything I can do? How much light? Water, leave ba[…]

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!