FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cigjunkie619
Nick wrote:That's awesome! I should have done more research before picking up mine. I hope my eddie will look like that in a few years!
Thanks! Did you have any problems with yours, or was it just really small? Even the small ones go for pretty crazy money. Jeremiah even wrote the germination date on the tag, this plant is just a hair over 6 years old!
By Nick
First, I got it from SouthBay, so there is the possibility that it was poached (which irks the bejeezus out of me), and it is also quite small. The whole plant is roughly the diameter of a half dollar and it is still the most expensive one in my collection.
By cigjunkie619
Nick wrote:First, I got it from SouthBay, so there is the possibility that it was poached (which irks the bejeezus out of me), and it is also quite small. The whole plant is roughly the diameter of a half dollar and it is still the most expensive one in my collection.
Ahhh, I see I see. I feel you there man, and I think the photos that they use to sell the plant are all mature photos, etc. I have heard a lot of mixed things about them, and for the most part keep my distance or try to go with as many reputable vendors as possible. I honestly didnt think I was going to get one of these for a while, as even seedlings are $150 and up (tc at that) and I was bidding on a similar plant on ebay from him. I stopped bidding at about $310, and it just kept going up from there. The plant on his auction ended up going for $886, so I knew it would be nothing I was going to get my hands on anytime soon, lol. The next day, I got an email saying "this is your second chance offer..." from ebay, and it said the seller has another item in stock, and they are offering it to you for your highest bid. Off the bat, I thought it had to be completely fake or a scam! I actually DMed Jerry and sure as crap, he said it was legit, he had another one and he would send me photos of it if I wanted it.

I knew it isn't everyday that something like this comes up from such a reputable grower, that is a large plant and SG at what I think is a killer price, so I jumped on it! Couldn't be happier. What is crazy, is there were people that of course bid higher than me, yet he chose my bid to make the offer to. Maybe it was my good feedback, idk but I feel incredibly lucky that he did, for whatever reason he did (he might have tons, but who knows) but to me this is a grail plant for many, including myself, and something that I will for sure keep!
By Nick
That is an absolute steal for an Eddy that size! I have heard nothing but GLOWING reviews for Mr. Harris, and this just adds to the pile. Once I learned about the murky reputation surrounding SouthBay, I vowed not to deal with them ever again.

Thankfully I have been able to source a hamata and macrophylla from a different seller, rounding out the holy trinity of toothy highlanders. Now, I just have to keep them happy and hope for basals!

Great find, and good luck keeping it healthy!
Nick liked this
By cigjunkie619
Thank you! I live in San Diego a few minutes away from the beach and there are a few other growers here that grow Eddies outdoors year round, so I am hopeful that he likes it just as much as all of my other neps! I have read that once they put on size, they aren't too picky on overall conditions as long as there aren't any long extremes going either way.

I recently picked up a hamata as well, I got it from Black Jungle Exotics (took a chance on them) and it really is a tiny, tiny plant but it did appear and is doing well so far. Even with having that one, a SG hamata is still high on my list! Same with a mac!

Happy growing!
cigjunkie619 liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1675. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1674. I'll PM[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome dude!!

hmm, should i flush them then let them dry?

Is your "grow area" lined with reflectiv[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!