FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jurious26
I have searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.
look at the attached photo,
IMG_20171016_1.jpg
IMG_20171016_1.jpg (791.5 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
I have no idea what could have possibly cause this... using distilled water hopefully not to much, lots of sunlight still my vft looks so bad, this all started few weeks ago, leaves are curling. has anyone seen this before? what can I do to make it healthy?
there are some tiny white pests in the soil but they seem harmless.
any help would be appreciated.
By Fieldofscreams
Considering the time of year it is its most likely starting to enter dormancy.

What is your location? What are its growing conditions?
Fieldofscreams liked this
By jurious26
Fieldofscreams wrote:Considering the time of year it is its most likely starting to enter dormancy.

What is your location? What are its growing conditions?
It's been that way over a month or even more, and it's still summer here...
My flytrap is growing inside a pot containing sphagnum peat moss for 7 months now, ever since I bought it. I've accidently sprinkled the plant with tap water one time long ago, but then immediately washed it off with distilled water. I placed the pot outdoor where it receives about 4 howrs of direct sunlight a day. I used to feed it with insects until 2 month ago, 1 insect every 2 weeks.
yesterday I reppoted the plat with mix of mostly long fibered sphagnum moss, and some peat moss and silica sand, just in case the cause was in the soil. I suspect maybe it was overwatered or somthing but then it would have turned yellowish I guess.
Thanks for the fast response,
about the time it stated to look sick, for maybe week I was short on distilled water so I used less pure rain water, without testing it with TDS meter (I know I shouldn't have done that), but now I'm using only distilled water.
By Fieldofscreams
When you say its still summer here, where is "here"?

So 4 hours of direct sunlight, what does it get when it is not direct sunlight?

Is the plant inside or outside?

Don't worry too much about using tap water, its not Alien acid blood. For tap water with a high PPM it would still take quit a while for it to hurt the plant. Watering it once or twice with it or splashing the plant with it wont hurt it. You would have to water with it for quit a few weeks or even months for it to hurt it.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By jurious26
Fieldofscreams wrote:When you say its still summer here, where is "here"?

So 4 hours of direct sunlight, what does it get when it is not direct sunlight?

Is the plant inside or outside?

Don't worry too much about using tap water, its not Alien acid blood. For tap water with a high PPM it would still take quit a while for it to hurt the plant. Watering it once or twice with it or splashing the plant with it wont hurt it. You would have to water with it for quit a few weeks or even months for it to hurt it.
vft.jpg
vft.jpg (861.43 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
I live in Israel, and the climate here is subtropical, at summer the sun is very strong and the winter lasts only 4 months.
Eventhough the climate is very different from flytrap native's in Carolina, I've seen some vft growing very well here.
The plant is outdoors inside a Pergola, getting approx 4 hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day it varies from indirect sunlight to full shadow. I didn't put it in full sun all day long because thought it might get burned up.
This is my first carnivorous plant ever so I do not expect too much but it would be nice if I could save this one.
In another matter, when I repot the plant, is it essential to wash the soil off the rhizome? as I mentioned there are springtails in the soil that jump when get disturbed.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Smooter80 wrote:Needs more light.
I agree. The large leaves and small traps are a sign it is trying to get more light. Give it full sun all day. Keep the soil moist at all times. VFTs can withstand temps of over 100F. Find the sunniest spot at your home and put the plant there.
By jurious26
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:
Smooter80 wrote:Needs more light.
I agree. The large leaves and small traps are a sign it is trying to get more light. Give it full sun all day. Keep the soil moist at all times. VFTs can withstand temps of over 100F. Find the sunniest spot at your home and put the plant there.
I will move it to a sunny location without shade. Is this explains the leaves curling as well? I hope it does otherwise I have no idea, even the new leaf growth is curled and twisted. Thanks, appreciate your help.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yeah that should clear up once it gets more light and gets healthier.
By Jaws
I wouldnt move it right into intense sun straight away if it isnt used to it, gradually introduce it.
Jaws liked this
By Orit
I was thinking it needed more sun as well. You don't have to measure the TDS of rain water if you are catching it from the sky (as opposed to, say, your roof). It should be just fine as is.

!בהצלחה
Orit liked this
By tommyr
These are not houseplants. They need to be outside in full all day Sun. Acclimate them to it SLOWLY. Use rainwater, distilled water or R.O. water ONLY. They will need 3-4 months of winter dormancy between 35 and 40 degrees F.
tommyr, tommyr liked this
By jurious26
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Yeah that should clear up once it gets more light and gets healthier.
Thanks, it already shows some good signs if that's even possible,
I'm kinda scared right now, when reppoted, I handled the sphagnum moss with my bare hands, what action do you take
to prevent from infection/desease catch up with you? how to deal with this stuff safely?
I've totally forgot about the risks.
By KategoricalKarnivore
You will be just fine. It won't do anything to you.
Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Two issues. The only filiformis var Floridana we h[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome back https://media.tenor.com/images/5e88a[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!