FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By ormac
I'm new here and just started this hobbie, but i have loved carnivorous plants since my childhood.

This is the little Dionaea i got last week and it's small compared to the beauties i've seen here. But i'm taking care of her so she can grow big and strong. I asked the person who sold it to me how old it was but she didn't know. So if one of you can help me to do a guess based on the size i will be grateful.

This is a bad picture i shot when i got it but now I have a small dish with 2 cm of distilled water below the pot, and it's located near a window where it gets almost 6 hours of sunlight everyday and sometimes i spray it with a bottle.
By LAKJP
It looks old enough to flower, so maybe 2-3 years old? Anyway, really mature VFT's are not sold normally in hardware stores ;)
By ormac
akinkysnorlax wrote:What is the size of the pot? I would have to agree with LAKJP in the fact it looks big enough to flower.
Actually it's smaller than it looks. The pot is 3" H x 3.5" W. But besides the small size, it is well developed and have 5 "main" traps but below the leaves are about 5 more but smaller.
By ormac
2 years old??

Ok, thanks.
By dantt99
Well, stating the age of a flytrap is somewhat misleading. A 2 year old plant from seed will still be pretty small, but a plant 2 years out of TC's size would be much larger.

That is a good sized flytrap, though! :)
By xr280xr
Welcome! There's no real way to tell its age. Different plants grow at different speeds and, like dantt99 pointed out, we don't know if it was grown in tissue culture, which would accelerate it's growth. At any rate, it does look like an adolescent to mature plant. Don't worry, that doesn't mean it won't grow larger though.

Primuliflora is a warm temperate and may require a[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I’ve seen people mention putting ice in with[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

I pass on winning =) i just wanted to post a photo[…]

1 year old cape!

Wow! I wonder if you've found a plant with giganti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!